Easy Stuffed Tomatoes Provençal
Stuffed Tomatoes Provençal is a classic French recipe where fresh tomatoes are stuffed with a delicious breadcrumb mixture and drizzled with olive oil. It is a quick and easy dish to prepare that can be made ahead of time. These stuffed tomatoes are a perfect side dish for meals ranging from elegant to every day.
- 2 large firm tomatoes, about 8-ounces each
- 2 to 3 pieces of white bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- 1 ½ Tablespoons minced shallots (1 medium shallot)
- 2 Tablespoons minced Italian parsley
- 2 Tablespoons (0.5 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Herbes de Provence (See Tip 1)
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons plus one teaspoon olive oil, divided
- Minced parsley or chives for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil. Set aside.
Core the tomatoes and cut in half horizontally. Scoop out pulp and seeds. Set aside.
Make the fresh breadcrumbs by pulse processing bread in food processor fitted with a steel blade 10 times. (See Tip 2)
Transfer breadcrumbs to bowl. Add shallots, parsley, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, Herbes de Provence, pepper and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir to combine.
Stuff each of the tomato halves with the bread stuffing. Drizzle with remaining one teaspoon of olive oil. (Can be made in advance up to this point.)
Bake stuffed tomatoes in preheated 400°F oven for 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
Yield: 4 stuffed tomatoes. (See Tip 3)
- If you don't have Herbes de Provence, you can substitute Italian seasoning. The stuffing won't be quite as good, but the Italian seasoning is a reasonable substitute.
- It's best to use fresh breadcrumbs in this recipe. The stuffing will be quite dry if you try to substitute dried breadcrumbs.
- This recipe is easily doubled.
Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 399mg | Potassium: 263mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 952IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 1mg