Homemade Crusty French Bread Rolls (Bread Machine)
Homemade Crusty French Bread Rolls are super easy to make in your bread machine. This recipe requires only five ingredients and produces the most amazing rolls you've ever tried.
Servings: 12 Rolls
- 1 cup plus 3 ½ Tablespoons (9.75-ounces, 276 grams) filtered water (See Tips 1 and 2)
- ½ Tablespoon Kosher salt
- ½ Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 cups (15-ounces, 425 grams) bread flour
- ½ Tablespoon instant or bread machine yeast (See Tip 3)
Add ingredients to bread machine pan in the order listed. Select Dough cycle, and press start.
When the Dough cycle has completed, transfer dough to a floured surface. Cut into 12 equal size pieces and form smooth balls. Place on parchment lined baking sheets and flatten with hand. (See Tip 4)
Cover and place in a warm location until nicely risen. (See Tips 5 and 6)
Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
Yield: 12 Crusty French Bread Rolls. (See Tip 7)
- I always weigh my ingredients. The reason is that there is a lot of variability in different measures of ingredients. By weighing the ingredients, I'm assured of the recipe turning out the same time after time.
- Filtered water can either be bottled water or water from the refrigerator if the refrigerator has a filter.
- Active yeast is not the same as instant yeast. Active yeast needs to be rehydrated whereas instant yeast or bread machine yeast can be added directly to the dry ingredients.
- I weigh all of my ingredients and also weigh each of the cut pieces of dough. Each piece weighed 2.12 ounces).
- I use Julia Child's suggestion of turning my electric oven on for exactly 1 minute and 45 seconds to produce the perfect environment.
- It takes around 3 hours for the rolls to rise to the size that I like which is more than the typical double in size.
- I store these rolls in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator. Before using the rolls, I slightly warm them in either the microwave (15 seconds) or in the toaster oven (5 minutes at 350°).
Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 33mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg