Cheesy Mini Cornbread Waffles
Cheesy Mini Cornbread Waffles are the ultimate in simplicity and taste. They are perfect all by themselves, but even better butter and/or honey or syrup. For the utmost in taste, pair the mini waffles with chili topped with sour cream and cheese - amazing!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time4 mins
Total Time9 mins
Course: Appetizer, Bread, Brunch
Servings: 8 mini waffles
- ¾ cup (3.75-ounces) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (2.75-ounces) yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup (8-ounces) buttermilk (See Tip 1)
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons (1.5-ounces) melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup (4-ounces) shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (See Tip 2)
- Vegetable oil spray
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until combined (do not overmix).
Add melted butter and cheese; stir just until combined (do not overmix).
Preheat mini waffle maker. Spray top and bottom with vegetable oil spray.
Add ¼ cup of the cornbread batter to mini waffle maker. Spread to cover the bottom. Close top and cook for 4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove waffle from mini waffle maker and repeat with remaining batter. (See Tips 3 and 4)
Yield: 8 Cheesy Cornbread Mini Waffles. (See Tips 4 and 5)
- No buttermilk? No problem! Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring cup. Add whole milk to equal one cup total. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- I used extra sharp cheddar cheese because that's what I had on hand. Feel free to substitute regular cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese or pepper jack cheese.
- Sometimes, the waffles end up having ragged edges. These ragged edges can be easily trimmed with kitchen shears. No one will ever know!
- Keep the mini waffles warm in a 200°F oven while the other waffles are being made.
- The mini waffles can be made ahead, stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for several days or frozen for up to a month. Reheat for 5 minutes at 350° F for 5 minutes, or on the toast function in a toaster oven. They'll be just as good.
- For variety, add several pieces of crumbled bacon to the waffle batter before cooking.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 348mg | Potassium: 156mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 356IU | Calcium: 163mg | Iron: 1mg