Poffertjes (Dutch Mini Pancakes)
Poffertjes (pronounced puff' ur jis) or Dutch Mini Pancakes are small, fluffy yeasted treats made in a special cast iron pan. Sold throughout the Netherlands, they are traditionally served hot with a pat of butter and a good sprinkling of confectioners' sugar.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 ½ cups (12 ounces, 350 ml) milk, heated to about 105°F (See Tip 1)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 ¾ cups (8.75 ounces, 250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- Unsalted butter (See Tip 2)
- Confectioners' sugar for sprinkling on Poffertjes
Add yeast to lukewarm milk; stir to combine. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes or until frothy.
Whisk together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add milk/yeast mixture and egg. Beat with electric mixer on high until smooth, about 1 minute. (See Tip 3)
Cover bowl with plastic wrap; let sit until bubbly and doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
Heat Poffertjes pan on medium heat until hot, 3 to 4 minutes. Brush cavities with melted butter. Add about 1 tablespoon of batter to each of the cavities. When small bubbles start to appear and the top starts to look a bit dried out, quickly flip Poffertjes. (See Tips 4 and 5)
Allow Poffertjes to cook on other side until nicely browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from pan. Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve hot with a pat of butter and a sprinkling of confectioners' sugar.
Yield, about 60 Poffertjes.
- I used whole milk. However, you could also use low-fat milk. I heated the milk in my microwave on full power for about a minute.
- I melted about a tablespoon of butter to use for greasing the cavities of the Poffertjes pan.
- I could have also used a whisk to beat the ingredients together to form a smooth batter.
- If you've ever made pancakes, you should know how they look when it's time to flip them over - small bubbles appear, and the top looks a bit dried out.
- While cooking the Poffertjes, watch the heat carefully. You might need to lower the heat just a little bit to prevent them from burning.
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 39mg | Potassium: 172mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 140IU | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 1.9mg