Mini Taco Bites - Quick and Easy
Mini taco bites are a delicious and easy-to-make appetizer that is perfect for parties or any time you want to get your taco fix without making a full-sized taco. These little bites are made with store-bought Tostito Scoops, taco meat, cheese, and your favorite taco toppings.
Servings: 24 Mini Taco Bites.
My Favorite Taco Meat (May Use Your Favorite Recipe) (See Tip 1)
- 1 pound (16 ounces) ground beef (See Tip 2)
- 3 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning (See Tip 3)
- 1 10 ounce can Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, Undrained
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup (4 ounces) cubed Velveeta cheese
- 2 Tablespoons cornmeal for thickening (optional)
Mini Taco Bites
- 24 Tostitos Scoops
- ½ cup Taco meat (from the above recipe or your favorite)
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese (See Tip 4)
- 2 Tablespoons (1 ounce) sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon shredded lettuce
- 1 Tablespoon diced tomatoes
My Favorite Taco Meat
Brown and crumble ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain the cooked ground beef in a colander to remove excess grease. If desired, rinse with hot water to remove as much grease as possible. (See Tip 5)
Return the ground beef to the skillet over medium heat. Add taco seasoning, undrained Rotel tomatoes, and water; stir to combine. Cover and cook over medium heat until most of the water has evaporated, around 20 minutes.
Add the cubed Velveeta cheese; cover and heat until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Add cornmeal to thicken the taco meat to the desired consistency if desired. (See Tip 6)
Mini Taco Bites
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil.
Place scoops, cup side up on the prepared baking sheet. Place about ½ teaspoon of taco meat in each scoop and top with about ½ teaspoon of cheese.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 6 to 7 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Remove from the oven. Top with a dollop of sour cream, some shredded lettuce, and diced tomatoes. Serve warm.
Yield: 24 Mini Taco Bites. (See Tip 7)
- My Favorite Taco Meat recipe makes more of the mixture than you need for the Mini Taco Bites. You can use the leftovers in other dishes.
- I used ground round in this recipe. However, you can use whatever ground beef you have on hand.
- I like to use my homemade taco seasoning. However, you can also use store-bought taco seasoning. Generally, a package of store-bought taco seasoning contains two tablespoons. You might want to increase the amount to one and a half packages to reach three tablespoons.
- Feel free to substitute Monterey Jack cheese, Colby Jack cheese, Pepper Jack cheese, Mexican blend cheese, or queso fresco in this recipe.
- Rinsing the cooked ground beef in hot water is a personal preference of mine. You can omit the rinsing of the cooked ground beef if that is your preference.
- Adding cornmeal to the taco meat is optional to achieve the desired consistency. Feel free to omit this.
- This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
Calories: 37kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 24mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 0.1g | Vitamin A: 31IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 0.1mg