Easy Make Ahead Zucchini Gratin
A gratin is a dish topped with a golden browned crust of breadcrumbs and/or melted cheese. In France, gratins are generally made with potatoes. This Easy Make Ahead Zucchini Gratin is an amazing deviation which will have you coming back for more!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Gruyère
- 1/2 cup (1.5 ounces) Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large zucchini about 1 pound total
- 1 large onion (about 8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt divided
- 4 Tablespoons butter divided
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Combine Gruyère and Panko breadcrumbs in a bowl; set aside.
Scrub zucchini under cold water; cut off the two ends, but do not peel. Cut off two ends of onion, and peel. Grate the zucchini and onion; toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a colander. Let sit for 30 minutes. Then twist by handfuls in the corner of a paper towel or kitchen towel to remove excess liquid—you'll be surprised at the amount of liquid! Save the squeezed out juices. (See Tip 1)
Heat 3 tablespoons of the butter to foaming over medium heat in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Add the grated zucchini and onion. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, just until tender. Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add flour; stir well to combine and cook for a minute or two.
Add milk; stir constantly until thickened and bubbly. Correct seasonings.
Transfer zucchini mixture to a buttered baking and serving dish. Top with Gruyère/Panko mixture. Dot with remaining tablespoon of butter. Can be made ahead of time up to this point.
Bake in a preheated 400º F oven for 20 minutes or until bubbling hot and golden browned. Yield: 4 servings. (See Tip 2)
- The reserved liquid from the zucchini and onion can be used in sauces or gravies.
- Leftovers, if any, can be reheated for several minutes in the microwave, or in a 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 790mg | Potassium: 381mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 730IU | Vitamin C: 19.6mg | Calcium: 198mg | Iron: 0.9mg