Southern Flaky Biscuits
Light and flaky biscuits are a staple in the South. Southern Flaky Biscuits fit that bill and are absolutely delicious, taking only minutes to make.
Servings: 8 Biscuits
- 2 cups (10-ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder (See Tip 1)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 6 Tablespoons (¾ stick, 3-ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup (6-ounces) cold milk
Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Place flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse process several times to combine. Add the butter, and pulse process until the butter is well incorporated, 9 to 10 times. The butter should range in sizes from small peas to coarse cornmeal. Add the milk, and pulse process just until a rough dough forms, 3 to 4 times. (See Tips 2 and 3)
Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Dust the top of the dough very lightly with flour and form into a rough ball. Pat the dough with your hands until it is around ½-inch thick. Cut as many biscuits as possible, and transfer to the prepared baking pan. Gather the scraps into a ball, handling as little as possible; repeat the process. (See Tip 4)
Bake biscuits at 425° F for 14 to 18 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Serve hot. Yield: 8 2 ½-inch biscuits.
- Make sure that the baking powder is still active. To test, spoon about ½ teaspoon into a bowl, and add about ¼ cup of boiling water. If it's still active, the baking powder should immediately bubble up violently. If it doesn't, it's time to replace the baking powder.
- Fear not if you don't have a food processor. You can use a dough blender or your hands to incorporate the butter, and to process the dough.
- Do not over-mix the dough. You want minimal gluten formation to ensure flaky biscuits.
- The biscuits can be prepared up to this point, frozen on the baking pan, wrapped airtight, and kept for up to two months. Bake without defrosting, adding several minutes to the cooking time.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 158mg | Potassium: 215mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 300IU | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 1.6mg