Make-Ahead Broccoli and Rice Casserole
This creamy and cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole is a delicious make ahead side dish for your holiday or anytime feast. It contains just a few ingredients, and is a snap to make. Add 2 cups of leftover ham and you have an outstanding after Easter dish that is company worthy!
Servings: 6 servings
- 16 ounce package frozen broccoli florets (See Tip 1)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup, undiluted
- 8 ounces Velveeta Cheese cut into cubes
- 1 cup cooked long-grain rice (See Tip 2)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 Tablespoons plain breadcrumbs (See Tip 3)
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Bring pan of water with 2 teaspoons of salt to a boil. Add broccoli florets. When water returns to a boil, remove from heat, pour broccoli in colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well; set asided (See Tip 4)
Heat cream of mushroom soup and Velveeta Cheese in a large saucepan until cheese melts. Add broccoli and rice; stir to combine. (See Tip 5)
Pour into a greased 2 ½ quart casserole dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese and breadcrumbs on top. Dot with butter. (May be prepared in advance up to this point - cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
Bake at 350° F for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. (See Tip 6)
Yield: 6 servings. (See Tip 7)
- Be sure that you use frozen broccoli florets as opposed to frozen broccoli pieces. The frozen broccoli pieces contain a lot of the fibrous broccoli stalks which tend to be tough and chewy.
- You can use 1 cup of uncooked Minute Rice in place of the 1 cup of cooked rice.
- For an added crunch, use 24 crushed Ritz crackers in place of the breadcrumbs.
- You do not want to over-cook the broccoli. What you’re really doing when adding the broccoli to boiling water is to thaw it. The reason for rinsing it in cold water is that you want to stop the cooking at this point. You want the broccoli to be crisp tender and bright green.
- For a company worthy meal, add 2 cups of cubed cooked ham or turkey to broccoli and rice mixture. Proceed as directed.
- If you’ve made this casserole ahead of time and refrigerated it, allow for an additional 5 minutes of cooking.
- Leftovers if any can be reheated in the microwave for several minutes on high, or in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 2025mg | Potassium: 857mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1100IU | Vitamin C: 67.4mg | Calcium: 417mg | Iron: 2.5mg