This creamy and cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole is a delicious make ahead side dish for your Easter or anytime feast. It contains just a few ingredients, and is a snap to make. Add 2 cups of leftover ham and you have an outstanding after Easter dish that is company worthy!
Ingredients for Make Ahead Broccoli Casserole:
I used the following ingredients for this delicious casserole: Frozen broccoli florets, cream of mushroom soup, Velveeta cheese, Minute Rice, Cheddar cheese, bread crumbs, and unsalted butter. For the broccoli florets, I made sure that they were actually florets and not just the tough stalks!
Making the Broccoli Casserole:
To start, I added the broccoli florets to a pan of salted boiling water. As soon as the water started boiling again, I poured the broccoli into a colander. Then, I rinsed it with cold water to stop the cooking, and let it drain. The reason for the minimal cooking of the broccoli at this point is that I can’t stand it when it’s overcooked. While the broccoli was draining, I heated the cream of mushroom soup and Velveeta cheese in a large saucepan over medium heat until the cheese melted.
Next, I added the drained broccoli and Minute rice to the cheese sauce, and stirred to combine everything. Have leftover ham? Add 2 cups of cubed ham to the broccoli and rice mixture at this point for a company worthy after Easter treat!
I poured the mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkled on some shredded Cheddar cheese and bread crumbs. Next, I dotted it with a bit of butter. Here’s the make ahead part – at this point, you can cover the casserole with aluminum foil and refrigerate it for up to two days before baking it!
I popped the casserole into a 350° F oven the casserole for 30 minutes until it was hot and bubbly.
All in all, its creamy and cheesy goodness makes a perfect side dish for our annual Easter family gathering. By the way, if by chance you have any leftovers, which is doubtful, this reheats extremely well. Yum!
- 16 ounce package frozen broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup undiluted
- 8 ounces Velveeta Cheese
- 1 cup Minute rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 Tablespoons plain bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bring pan of water with 2 teaspoons of salt to a boil. Add broccoli florets. When water returns to a boil, remove from heat, pour broccoli in colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside.
- Heat cream of mushroom soup and Velveeta Cheese in a large saucepan until cheese melts. Add broccoli and rice; stir to combine*.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese and bread crumbs on top. Dot with butter. (May be prepared in advance up to this point - cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
- Bake at 350° F for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Yield: 6 servings.
*Note: For a company worthy meal, add 2 cups of cubed cooked turkey or chicken to broccoli and rice mixture. Proceed as above.