This creamy and cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole is a delicious make ahead side dish for your Easter or anytime feast. It contains just a few ingredients, and is a snap to make. Add 2 cups of leftover ham and you have an outstanding after Easter dish that is company worthy!
Ingredients for Make Ahead Broccoli Casserole:
I used the following ingredients for this delicious casserole: Frozen broccoli florets, cream of mushroom soup, Velveeta cheese, uncooked Minute Rice, Cheddar cheese, bread crumbs, and unsalted butter. For the broccoli florets, I made sure that they were actually florets and not just the tough stalks!
Making the Broccoli Casserole:
To start, I added the broccoli florets to a pan of salted boiling water. As soon as the water started boiling again, I poured the broccoli into a colander. Then, I rinsed it with cold water to stop the cooking, and let it drain. The reason for the minimal cooking of the broccoli at this point is that I can’t stand it when it’s overcooked. While the broccoli was draining, I heated the cream of mushroom soup and Velveeta cheese in a large saucepan over medium heat until the cheese melted.
Next, I added the drained broccoli and Minute rice to the cheese sauce, and stirred to combine everything. Have leftover ham? Add 2 cups of cubed ham to the broccoli and rice mixture at this point for a company worthy after Easter treat!
I poured the mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkled on some shredded Cheddar cheese and bread crumbs. Next, I dotted it with a bit of butter. Here’s the make ahead part – at this point, you can cover the casserole with aluminum foil and refrigerate it for up to two days before baking it!
I popped the casserole into a 350° F oven the casserole for 30 minutes until it was hot and bubbly.
All in all, its creamy and cheesy goodness makes a perfect side dish for our annual holiday family gatherings. By the way, if by chance you have any leftovers, which is doubtful, this reheats extremely well. Yum!
This creamy and cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole is a delicious make ahead side dish for your holiday or anytime feast. It contains just a few ingredients, and is a snap to make. Add 2 cups of leftover ham and you have an outstanding after Easter dish that is company worthy!
- 16 ounce package frozen broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup undiluted
- 8 ounces Velveeta Cheese
- 1 cup Minute rice, uncooked
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 Tablespoons plain bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bring pan of water with 2 teaspoons of salt to a boil. Add broccoli florets. When water returns to a boil, remove from heat, pour broccoli in colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside.
Heat cream of mushroom soup and Velveeta Cheese in a large saucepan until cheese melts. Add broccoli and rice; stir to combine. (See Tip 1)
- Pour into a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese and bread crumbs on top. Dot with butter. (May be prepared in advance up to this point - cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
- Bake at 350° F for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Yield: 6 servings.
- For a company worthy meal, add 2 cups of cubed cooked turkey or chicken to broccoli and rice mixture. Proceed as above.