Taco Waffle Cones
Take your Taco Tuesday to new heights with these tasty Taco Waffle Cones. The waffle cones are made with store-bought flour tortillas, and are ready to be loaded with your favorite taco fillings. Young and old will delight in these Taco Waffle Cones that are eaten like ice cream cones!
Servings: 12 Taco Waffle Cones
- 12 6-inch flour tortillas
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (93% or 97%) (See Note 1)
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning (See Note 2)
- 10 ounce can Rotel Original diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/3 cup water
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Pico de Gallo (See Note 3)
Preheat oven to 325* F.
Heat waffle cone machine on #4 setting. Place flour tortilla on waffle cone machine; close and cook for 30 seconds.
Remove the tortilla from waffle cone machine; form into cone shape with provided cone form. Hold for 30 seconds to allow the tortilla to set. Place an aluminum foil shaped cone inside of waffle cone. Place the waffle cone seam-side down on a baking sheet. (See Note 4)
Repeat with remaining flour tortillas.
Bake in preheated 325° F oven for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes. Cool.
The waffle cones can be made in advance up to this point and stored in air-tight container for up to a week. (See Note 5)
Meat Mixture (See Note 6)
Brown turkey meat in a large skillet over medium, breaking up into small pieces. Transfer to colander. Rinse under hot water. When cool, rub between hands to continue breaking up into small pieces.
Return turkey meat to skillet set over medium heat. Add taco seasoning. Stir to combine. Add Rotel tomatoes and water. Cook, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
Assembly of Taco Waffle Cones
Fill waffle cone 2/3 of the way with meat mixture. Add lettuce, Pico de Gallo and shredded cheese, or other condiments of your choice.
Yield: 12 Taco Waffle Cones.
- May use ground beef in place of the ground turkey. However, the ground turkey tends to be significantly more tender.
- Homemade taco seasoning is so much better than store-bought. However, store-bought will also work here.
- Rather than Pico de Gallo, you could use salsa, chopped fresh tomatoes, chopped onions, etc.
- If you don't have a waffle cone machine, you can use a cone shaped out of aluminum foil to form the flour tortilla. Wrap the flour tortilla around the aluminum cone, and place it seam-side down on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° F for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.
- Once you have the waffle cones, be creative. You can fill them with Mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, French fries, etc.
- You can use whatever meat filling you choose. This one is my favorite!
Calories: 152kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 316mg | Potassium: 170mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 115IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1.7mg