Creamy Fresh Tomato Soup
Creamy Fresh Tomato Soup is the perfect solution for the abundance of tomatoes from your garden. It's super easy to make and is amazing hot, warm and even cold.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions (1 large)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped peeled carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 pounds fresh tomatoes, chopped (8 cups) (See Tip 1)
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Croutons for garnish
Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and carrots; saute without browning for 10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, basil, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil; lower heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes or until tomatoes are very tender.
Process soup through food mill into a bowl. Discard the dry pulp. (See Tip 1)
Rinse Dutch oven. Return soup to Dutch oven. Add cream; stir until combined. Reheat over low heat until hot. Garnish with croutons if desired.
Yield: 6 servings. (See Tip 2)
- If you don't have a food mill, you can use a food processor or blender to puree the soup. However, before cooking the tomatoes, you should remove the peel and the seeds.
- This soup makes delicious leftovers and is good served hot, warm and even cold.
Calories: 242kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 1090mg | Potassium: 1047mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 6600IU | Vitamin C: 48.4mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 1.5mg