Classic Southern Macaroni Salad
Classic Southern Macaroni Salad is the perfect make-ahead side dish for your summer barbecues, picnics or potlucks. It's filled with crunchy vegetables and a simple creamy sauce making it an awesome substitute for potato salad. Nothing says summertime like this easy to make Classic Southern Macaroni Salad.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons gherkin juice (See Tip 1)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped celery (2 to 3 stalks)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion (1/2 onion) (See Tip 2)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (1/2 bell pepper)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)
- 4 small sweet gherkins, shredded (about 2 Tablespoons) (See Tip 3)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- Paprkia and chopped chives or parsley for garnish (optional)
Cook macaroni in boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain thoroughly, but do not rinse. Transfer to a large bowl; allow to come to room temperature. (See Tip 4)
Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, gherkin juice, dry mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients to mayonnaise mixture; stir to combine. Pour over macaroni; toss to thoroughly coat macaroni.
Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours.
Yield: 6 servings.
- If you don't have sweet gherkin juice, you can increase the amount of vinegar to 3 tablespoons and add a tablespoon of sugar.
- Can also use sweet onion.
- You can use sweet pickle relish in place of the shredded gherkins.
- To prevent macaroni from boiling over, place a wooden spoon in pan with macaroni.
Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 459mg | Potassium: 222mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2410IU | Vitamin C: 17.9mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 0.8mg