Classic Southern Macaroni Salad is the perfect make-ahead side dish for your summer barbecues, picnics or potlucks. It’s filled with crunchy vegetables and a simple creamy sauce. Nothing says summertime like this easy to make Classic Southern Macaroni Salad.
I used the following ingredients for this delicious macaroni salad: Elbow macaroni, mayonnaise, cider vinegar, sweet gherkins with juice, dry mustard, salt, freshly ground black pepper, celery, red onions, red bell pepper, sweet gherkins, carrots and hard boiled eggs. I have also used sweet onions in place of the red onions.
Making the Classic Southern Macaroni Salad
First, I cooked the macaroni in salted water until it was tender. This took about 10 minutes. When the macaroni was done, I drained it. However, I didn’t rinse the macaroni.
Next, I made the sauce. First, I whisked together the mayonnaise, cider vinegar, sweet gherkin juice, dry mustard, salt and pepper, .
Then, I added the celery, onion, bell pepper, gherkins, carrots and hard boiled eggs.
I stirred everything together for the sauce. Next, I added the sauce to the cooked macaroni. I stirred everything together. Once everything was well combined, I covered the macaroni salad with some plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator to chill. That’s it!
Classic Southern Macaroni Salad is an easy make-ahead side dish is perfect for your summer-time barbecues, picnics or potlucks. It’s filled with crunchy vegetables and covered in a creamy sauce. For an awesome substitute for potato salad, you should try this delicious salad. Yum!
If you’d rather have an outstanding potato salad, you should try my Southern Style Potato Salad with a Twist.
Classic Southern Macaroni Salad
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons gherkin juice (See Tip 1)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped celery (2 to 3 stalks)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion (1/2 onion) (See Tip 2)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (1/2 bell pepper)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)
- 4 small sweet gherkins, shredded (about 2 Tablespoons) (See Tip 3)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- Paprkia and chopped chives or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain thoroughly, but do not rinse. Transfer to a large bowl; allow to come to room temperature. (See Tip 4)
- Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, gherkin juice, dry mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients to mayonnaise mixture; stir to combine. Pour over macaroni; toss to thoroughly coat macaroni.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Chula's Expert Tips
- If you don't have sweet gherkin juice, you can increase the amount of vinegar to 3 tablespoons and add a tablespoon of sugar.
- Can also use sweet onion.
- You can use sweet pickle relish in place of the shredded gherkins.
- To prevent macaroni from boiling over, place a wooden spoon in pan with macaroni.