Walking Taco Casserole
Walking Taco Casserole is a delicious spin on the popular walking taco which is a meal in a bag of Fritos or other corn chips. The walking taco casserole is simply a reverse back to the Frito pie.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef (See Tip 1)
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning (See Tip 2)
- 10 ounce can Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup (4-ounces) Velveeta Cheese, cubed
- 2 cups (8-ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cups Fritos Original Corn Chips
- 2 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onion tops
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 ½ quart casserole dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
Brown and crumble ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat, 5 to 6 minutes.
Transfer cooked ground beef to colander; rinse with hot water to remove excess grease. Return to skillet over medium heat. Add taco seasoning, Rotel Tomatoes and water. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
Add Velveeta cheese; stir until cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer meat mixture to prepared casserole dish. Top with half of the Cheddar cheese, the Fritos and the remaining half of the Cheddar cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Remove from oven; top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, green onion tops and jalapeño slices. Drizzle with sour cream. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings.
- I used 93% lean ground beef. You could also use ground turkey.
- I used my own DIY Taco Seasoning.
Calories: 600kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 1263mg | Potassium: 700mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1345IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 605mg | Iron: 4mg