Key Lime Pie with Oreo Crust
Key Lime Pie is a southern classic that is as delicious as it is easy to make. Absent the crust, Key Lime Pie boasts only three ingredients - Key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Servings: 8 servings
Lemon Oreo Crust (See Tip 1)
- 25 Lemon Oreos
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Key Lime Filling
- 2 14-ounce cans sweetened condensed milk (See Tip 2)
- 1 cup key lime juice (See Tips 3 and 4)
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- Whipped Cream for garnish (See Tip 5)
Lemon Oreo Crust
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Crush Lemon Oreos in food processor fitted with steel blade or in a Ziploc bag. Add melted butter; mix well.
Pour into 8 or 9-inch spring-form pan or pie place. Firmly pat mixture onto bottom and up the sides of the pan. (See Tip 6)
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven; allow to cool.
Key Lime Pie Filling
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Whisk together sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice in a large bowl. Whisk in beaten egg yolks.
Pour into prepared crust. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to come to room temperature. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
Yield: 8 servings.
- Graham cracker crust is more traditional with the Key Lime Pie. If you decided to use a graham cracker crust, however, make your own. The store-bought graham cracker crust pales in comparison to a home-made version.
- You can use regular, low-fat or no-fat sweetened condensed milk in this recipe.
- Fresh key lime juice really takes this pie over the top. However, if you are unable to fresh key limes, you can use the more common Persian limes. I would, however, avoid using bottled key lime juice. It tends to have a rather unpleasant taste.
- You should wash the limes before cutting them in half. Otherwise, any nasties that happen to be on the outside will end up contaminating the juice!
- The more authentic Key Lime Pie is finished with a meringue topping, like lemon meringue pie. I prefer, however, to use a dollop of whipped cream.
Calories: 564kcal | Carbohydrates: 87g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 120mg | Sodium: 285mg | Potassium: 79mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 72g | Vitamin A: 560.7IU | Vitamin C: 9.1mg | Calcium: 275.1mg | Iron: 1.1mg