Chicken Pot Pie in Puff Pastry is a great alternative to the traditional one enclosed in pastry. It’s the ultimate comfort food, packed full of goodness and simple to prepare. The most time-consuming part of the preparation is cutting the chicken and the vegetables.
Ingredients for Chicken Pot Pie in Puff Pastry
I used the following ingredients for this delicious dish: Unsalted butter, chicken breasts, onions, carrots, rutabaga, salt, pepper, dried thyme, flour, white wine, low sodium chicken broth, green peas, milk Bisto, and the star of the show, Puff Pastry shells.
Making the Chicken Pot Pie in Puff Pastry
After cooking the chicken over medium heat in a Dutch oven with some melted butter, I added the onions, carrots, rutabaga, salt, pepper, and dried thyme to the pan. Then, I stirred to combine, and cooked the mixture for 7 to 8 minutes.
Next, I mixed in the flour, and let it cook for a minute or two.
At this point, I added the liquid – white wine and low sodium chicken broth.
I brought the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until it had thickened slightly. Then, I covered the pan, reduced the heat to medium low. I cooked the mixture for about 45 minutes, until the vegetables were tender.
As a final step, I added some milk that had been mixed with Bisto, and again brought the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, until it was thickened. Finally, I added the frozen green peas.
After adding the peas, I heated the mixture just until the peas were no longer frozen. I wanted the peas to retain their green color and not be over-cooked.
I gave the mixture a final taste and declared it perfectly seasoned! For dinner, I served it over Puff Pastry Shells that had been cooked according to the package directions. I should tell you that this mixture is delicious served over rice, and freezes beautifully. Yum!
Chicken Pot Pie in Puff Pastry is a great alternative to the traditional one enclosed in pastry. It's the ultimate comfort food, packed full of goodness and simple to prepare. The most time-consuming part of the preparation is cutting the chicken and the vegetables.
- 2 pounds skinless and boneless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups about a half rutabaga, peeled and cut into ¼-inch pieces*
- 2 cups 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons Bisto may use corn starch instead
- Puff Pastry Shells cooked according to package directions
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until it is white on all sides, about 7 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, thyme, rutabaga, carrots and onions. Cook until the onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the flour to mixture; stir until well blended. Cook for 1 minutes. Add the wine and chicken broth. Stir over medium heat until mixture is bubbly and thickened. Cover and cook over low heat until the carrots and rutabaga are tender, about 45 minutes. Add the green peas; stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to medium. Mix the milk and Bisto together; add to chicken and vegetable mixture. Cook stirring often until mixture is bubbly and thickened. Correct the seasonings. Serve over Puff Pastry Shells. Yield: 8 servings.
- *May use turnip root in place of rutabaga.
- Note: This freezes extremely well.