Whether you use this delicious Mushroom and Wild Rice Dressing as a stuffing or a side dish, it is sure to keep people coming back for seconds. It’s a snap to put together, can be made ahead of time, and reheats beautifully. Who could ask for more?
The ingredients for this delicious Mushroom and Wild Rice Dressing include: unsalted butter, Cremini mushrooms, shallots, celery, garlic, dried thyme, cooked white rice, cooked wild rice, chicken broth, chopped green onions, dry bread crumbs, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. I know that this seems like a lot, but it really does come together quickly.
Making the Mushroom and Wild Rice Dressing
I started by sautéing the mushrooms in melted butter over medium high heat until they were soft and lightly caramelize. This took 3 to 4 minutes.
Next I added the shallots, celery, garlic, and thyme, and cooked the mixture until the shallots were soft, about 5 minutes.
I continued cooking the mushroom mixture over medium high heat until most of the liquid had evaporated. At this point, I added the white rice, wild rice, chopped green onions, and chicken broth. I stirred the mixture to ensure that everything was well combined.
Finally, I mixed in the bread crumbs and added some salt and pepper to taste. For my taste, it took about ¼ teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
I used part of the Mushroom Wild Rice Dressing to stuff a turkey breast (check out the Turkey Roulade), and put the rest into a casserole dish. I baked it at 350° F for about 30 minutes until it was heated through. The Mushroom and Wild Rice Dressing had an amazing flavor and texture. You should try it. Yum!
If you’re looking for another dressing/stuffing idea, check out my Sage and Onion Stuffing.
I hope you liked this recipe for Mushroom and Wild Rice Dressing as much as I do. If so, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, ever your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Mushroom and Wild Rice Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces Cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup cooked white rice
- ½ cup cooked wild rice
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 Tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, try ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms and cook stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are soft and lightly caramelized, and have released their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chopped shallots, chopped celery, garlic, and thyme. Cook until the shallots are soft, about 5 minutes. Continue cooking over medium high heat until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Add the white rice, wild rice, chicken broth, and chopped green onions. Stir to combine.
- Add the bread crumbs; stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Set aside to cool completely if using for a stuffing. Otherwise, transfer to a casserole dish. Bake in a preheated 350° F oven for 30 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
- Yield: 6 servings.