Easy Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs are moist, fall-off-the-bone tender, and absolutely delicious. The Instant Pot reduces the what normally takes hours to cook, to minutes – 25 minutes to be exact. Add another 20 minutes or so to finish them off, and be prepared to be blown away!
The inspiration for these ribs came from I Wash You Dry’s recipe.
I used a rack of baby back ribs. I also made a dry rub consisting of brown sugar, chili powder, dried thyme, salt, pepper, dried cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. To enhance the moisture of the ribs, I used some apple cider vinegar and water in the Instant Pot. Finally, I used some leftover Bourbon Infused Barbecue Sauce to finish the ribs off. However, you could use your favorite barbecue sauce.
Making the Easy Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
The first thing that I did was to remove the membrane from the underside of the ribs. To do this, I loosened the membrane with a boning knife until I could grip it with a paper towel. Then, I pulled the membrane to completely remove it.
Next, I added the dry rub ingredients to a jar with a lid. After screwing on the lid, I gave the jar a good shake to combine everything. Then, I rubbed the dry rub all over the top, bottom, and sides of the ribs. Before adding the ribs to the Instant Pot, I placed the rack in the bottom, and poured in the vinegar and water. Then, wrapped the ribs, standing on their side, around the inside of the Instant Pot.
I secured the lid on the Instant Pot, and made sure that the vent was closed. I selected the “Meat/Stew” button, and programmed the Instant Pot for 25 minutes. When the 25 minutes were up, I let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes. Then, I used the quick release method to fully release the pressure. I couldn’t believe the transformation in that short of a time period!
I carefully lifted the rack out of the Instant Pot, and placed the ribs on a rimmed baking sheet. Initially, I was going to finish the ribs off under the oven broiler. However, the weather was nice, so the Master Taste Tester finished them on the outside grill. It only took about 10 minutes over a hot fire for the ribs to be crusty delicious.
Susan joined us for dinner, and proclaimed the ribs the best that she had ever eaten. I totally agreed. Yum!
For another amazing recipe for baby back ribs, try my Sous Vide Baby Back Ribs with Balsamic Honey Barbecue Sauce or my Grilled Baby Back Ribs with Bourbon Infused Sauce.
Easy Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
- 3 pounds baby back pork ribs
- 1/4 cup (1.875 ounces) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- Remove the membrane from underside of ribs by running a boning knife under the membrane, and gripping the membrane with a paper towel to remove it completely. Set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, chili powder, thyme, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder, in a jar with a lid. Screw on the lid, and shake the contents to completely combine the dry rub.
- Rub the dry rub over all sides of the ribs.
- Place the rack in the bottom of the Instant Pot; pour in the vinegar and water.
- Wrap ribs around the Instant pot, standing them on their side.
- Secure the lid; ensure that the vent is closed. Select "Meat/Stew" and set the time to 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the ribs from the Instant Pot and divide into individual portions.
- Grill over hot coals, for about 10 minutes, turning and basting frequently with your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Yield: 4 servings.