For the past several years, the Master Taste Tester and I spent several weeks in a self-catering cottage in the middle of nowhere in England’s Lake District. Even though the kitchen was fully equipped, we kept the meals very simple. One of our favorites was potatoes and onions, English sausage, and mushy peas. These potatoes are crispy on the outside, tender in the middle, and easy to make. They’re absolutely delicious for anytime meals.
I used the following ingredients for these wonderful Anytime Potatoes and Onions: Yukon Gold potatoes, onions, salt, pepper, and vegetable oil. The reason for using Yukon Gold potatoes is that they tend to hold their shape better than Russet potatoes. You could, however, also use red potatoes.
Making the Anytime Potatoes and Onions
I started by peeling the potatoes, then cut them into 1/2-inch cubes. I boiled them in salted water, just until they started to become tender. This took about 5 minutes. I drained the potatoes and set them aside for several minutes to ensure that they were fully drained. Meanwhile, I heated some vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. I added the potatoes and let them cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Then I added the pepper and onions and let the mixture continue cooking for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes were crispy and the onions nicely browned.
These potatoes are totally delicious and are one of our staple dishes. To replicate our Lake District meal, I served them with English sausage, and mushy peas. Yum!
I hope you liked this recipe for Anytime Potatoes and Onions as much as I do. If so, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, ever your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Anytime Potatoes and Onions
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion minced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- Chopped chives for garnish optional
- Boil potatoes in water salted with 1 Tablespoon of Kosher salt just until they start to become tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, and cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add pepper and onions. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are crispy on the outside and the onions are nicely browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- If desired, garnish with chopped chives.
- Yield: 4 servings.