Crispy Loaded Potato Smashers are flavorful little morsels that everyone is certain to absolutely love. They’re similar to potato skins, but without all of the fuss and mess. One bite and you’ll be totally hooked!
I used the following ingredients for these incredible little delicacies: Small new potatoes, olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper, unsalted butter, shredded Cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon.
Making the Crispy Loaded Potato Smashers
I started by steaming the potatoes until they were fork tender. This took about 20 minutes. The reason that I steamed the potatoes rather than boiling them was to maximize the crispiness. When the potatoes were done, I let them sit for about 5 minutes to cool a bit. Then, I drizzled on some olive oil, and placed the potatoes on a nonstick aluminum lined baking sheet.
Next, I smashed each of the potatoes with a potato masher, trying to keep them in one piece. It was a bit messy using the potato masher because the potatoes tended to stick. However, I wanted rough edges to ensure crispiness. I could have also used a fork, the bottom of a glass, or my hand to smash the potatoes.
After sprinkling on some salt and freshly ground black pepper, I drizzled ½ teaspoon of melted butter onto each of the potatoes.
I popped the potatoes into a preheated 375° F oven for about 45 minutes, until they were crispy and golden brown. Then, I removed the potatoes from the oven, and sprinkled on some shredded Cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. I returned the potato smashers to the oven for another couple of minutes until the cheese was nicely melted.
The Crispy Loaded Potato Smashers were absolutely delicious. On the outside, the potatoes were golden crispy, and inside they were creamy delicious. The melted cheese and bacon definitely added a WOW factor to the Crispy Loaded Potato Smashers. Yum!
I hope you like the Crispy Loaded Potato Smashers as much as I do. If so, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, enter your email address in the Subscribe box. Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
For other loaded potato recipes, check out the following:
- Loaded Hasselback Potato Bites: If you like loaded potatoes and Hasselback Potatoes, you’ll absolutely love Loaded Hasselback Potato Bites. They are a mini version of the ever popular Hasselback Potatoes all dressed up with traditional loaded potato fixins. They make the perfect appetizer to serve at your holiday party, or anytime for that matter. They’re equally good as a side dish for a festive dinner!
- Loaded Crispy Crown Cups: Loaded Crispy Crown Cups are crispy potato cups filled with your favorite loaded baked potato fixin’s. Crispy Crowns form the Cups that are topped with melted cheese, sour cream, and crumbled bacon. Sound amazing? Well they are! Be sure to make plenty because they disappear quickly.
- Fried Loaded Potato Balls: Wow your family and guests with these fried loaded potato ball. Crispy on the outside, and filled with baked potatoes, cheese and bacon, they make the perfect make ahead appetizer or side dish.
Crispy Loaded Potato Smashers
- 12 small new potatoes about the size of a golf ball (about 1 pound)
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Steam potatoes in steamer basked for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from steamer; allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Roll potatoes in ½ tablespoon of olive oil, and place on nonstick foil lined baking sheet. Using a potato masher or the bottom of a glass, smash potatoes to about ½-inch thickness, making sure that you keep them in one piece.
- Sprinkle potatoes with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle about ½ teaspoon of melted butter on each potato.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until potatoes are crispy golden brown. Remove from oven. Sprinkle shredded cheese on each potato, and top with crumbled bacon.
- Return to oven for 3 to 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Yield: 12 Crispy Loaded Potato Smashers