Crispy smashed potatoes topped with Parmesan cheese are an amazing side dish for your Easter or anytime feast. They’re easy to make and only require a few ingredients.
Ingredients for Crispy Smashed Parmesan Potatoes:
I used the following ingredients for this incredible dish: Red new potatoes, Kosher salt, olive oil, freshly ground black pepper, Parmesan cheese, and minced chives.
Making the Crispy Smashed Parmesan Potatoes:
I started by simmering the potatoes in salted water for about 20 minute, until they were tender. Then, I drained the potatoes, and let them cool for about 20 minutes.
Next, I placed the potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet that was lined with nonstick aluminum foil. I used my hand to “smash” the potatoes to about a 1/2-inch thickness.
Then, I spooned the olive oil over the potatoes, and sprinkled on some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
I popped the potatoes into a preheated 425° F oven for about 45 minutes. After 25 minutes or so, I turned the potatoes and returned them to the oven to continue cooking.
After 45 minutes, I removed the potatoes from the oven, and sprinkled on the Parmesan cheese. I returned the potatoes to the oven for several additional minutes, until the Parmesan cheese was nicely melted. As a final step, I garnished the potatoes with some fresh chopped chives.
Talk about good! These potatoes are amazing. They’re crispy and flavorful, and perfectly cooked. Yum!
Crispy Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds small red or Yukon Gold new potatoes scrubbed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup (1.75 ounces, 50 grams) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh chives for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 17 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Drain the potatoes; allow to cool about 20 minutes.
- Place on a sheet pan. Press each potato until it is about 1/2-inch thick with your hand or a potato masher. Pour olive oil over the potatoes; sprinkle on 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake the potatoes for 45 minutes, turning once, until the skins have become nicely browned.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the Parmesan cheese and bake another 2 to 3 minutes, just until the cheese melts. Sprinkle the potatoes with the chives; serve hot.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings.