Two of the best things about summer (well, almost summer!) are homegrown tomatoes that actually taste like tomatoes and Vidalia onions. This summer salad combines the tomatoes and onions with cucumbers and an awesome dressing. It’s perfect for your Memorial Day cookout!
Ingredients for Tomato Onion and Cucumber Summer Salad:
For the actual salad, I used tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and romaine lettuce. I used the following ingredients for the dressing: Mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, Vidalia onions, garlic, sugar, salt, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, olive oil, and fresh parsley.
I added the mayonnaise, vinegar, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce to the blender, and processed the mixture until it was smooth. Then, with the blender on high, I gradually added the olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Next, I added the chopped parsley, and processed the dressing for another five seconds or so until the parsley was finely chopped. Finally, I transferred the dressing to a container, and refrigerated it.
Putting the Salad Together:
I started by arranging some romaine leaves on a chilled salad plate. Then, I alternated slices of tomato, onion, and cucumber on top of the romaine. Finally, I drizzled the salad with the dressing.
This salad is simple to make, and is absolutely delicious. It’s perfect for your Memorial Day cookout. Yum!
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon chopped Vidalia onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce in container of electric blender. Process on high until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. With blender on high, gradually add olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Add chopped parsley and process 5 seconds until parsley is finely chopped. Transfer to container; cover and chill. Yield: 1 cup.
- Arrange romaine lettuce on chilled salad plates. Top with alternating tomato, cucumber, and onion slices. Drizzle with dressing.
- Yield: 6 servings