Cucumber Dill Salad or Gurkensalat is an incredible salad that is easy to make. It’s not only tasty, but also very refreshing, making it perfect for your Oktoberfest get-together. This is the first of a series of yummy recipes that are perfect for Oktoberfest, so stay tuned!
We first had this amazing salad in Hamburg, Germany. After doing some experimentation, I was able to duplicate what we had in Hamburg, and have made it a number of times since. Each time, the salad is outstanding, and reminiscent of our time in Hamburg!
Ingredients for Cucumber Dill Salad:
Cucumber Dill Salad is very easy to make. I use the following ingredients: English or Hot House cucumbers, onion, dill, cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. If I have one, I use a red or a Bermuda onion. The reason is that it adds a nice color. In addition, it tends to have a mild flavor.
Making the Cucumber Dill Salad:
I started by peeling the cucumbers and the onion. Then, I thinly sliced both with the aid of a food processor and a 3mm slicing blade. You could also use a knife here.
Next, I sprinkled chopped dill on the cucumbers/onions which I’d placed in a plastic (non-reactive) bowl. I made the dressing by mixing together the cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, and poured it over the vegetables.
Finally, I stirred all of the ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
I covered the salad, and refrigerated it for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld together. This is one of the Master Taste Tester’s favorite salads. It’s tasty and refreshing, and totally delicious. Yum!
I first posted this delicious salad in 2012, and reposted it in 2017. Given that Oktoberfest is upon us, I thought I’d make some minor tweaks and repost it.
Cucumber Dill Salad (Gurkensalat)
- 2 English or Hot House cucumbers peeled and thinly sliced (See Note 1)
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced and broken into pieces (See Note 2)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place sliced cucumbers and onion in a non-reactive bowl (plastic). Sprinkle dill on top.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl; whisk until sugar dissolves thoroughly. Pour over vegetables. Toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
Chula's Expert Tips
- I slice the cucumbers and onion in a food processor with a 3 mm slicing blade.
- Sometimes when I make this salad, I use a sweet yellow onion as opposed to the red onion.