Bran mini muffins are both delicious and good for you. They can be prepared in advance, and will make an awesome addition to your Mother’s Day brunch!
Ingredients for Bran Mini Muffins:
I used the following ingredients: Wheat bran, buttermilk, vegetable oil, one egg, brown sugar vanilla extract, all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and Craisins.
Since I didn’t have any buttermilk, I started by making my own. I mixed 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice with enough milk to make a total of 1 cup of liquid. Then, I mixed together milk/lemon juice and the wheat bran, and let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes.
I baked the mini muffins in a preheated 375° F oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the mini muffins were perfectly done. After I removed the mini muffins from the oven, I cooled them on a wire rack.
- 1 1/2 cups (3 ounces) wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Craisins
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease mini muffin cups or line with paper mini muffin liners.
- Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk; let stand 10 minutes.
- Beat together oil, egg, brown sugar, and vegetable oil. Sift in baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; mix well. Add buttermilk/bran mixture. Stir in flour; mix until just blended. Fold in Craisins. Using a 1-1/2 inch disher, add batter to prepared mini muffin tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a mini muffin comes out clean.
- Yield: 24 mini muffins.
*If you don't have buttermilk, mix together 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice and enough milk to make 1 cup. Proceed as above.