What do you do with an over-ripe banana? The best thing that I know is to use it to make Banana Craisin Mini Muffins. They’re moist, easy to make, and absolutely delicious – a perfect brunch treat for Mother’s Day.
Ingredients for Banana Craisin Mini Muffins:
I used the following ingredients: Unsalted butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, an egg , vanilla extract, banana(s), sour cream, flour, toasted pecans and Craisins.
Making the Banana Craisin Mini Muffins:
I started by beating the butter, sugar, baking soda and salt with an electric mixer. Just about every recipe I’ve ever seen for cookies, cakes, muffins, etc., calls for sifting or mixing baking soda, salt and/or baking powder with the flour. Some years back, I decided to add these to the butter mixture to ensure that they were well incorporated, and frankly because it was easier. Guess what? No problem at all with the finished product.
Next, I added the egg, vanilla extract, and peeled banana to the butter mixture, and beat it on high speed with the electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Because the bananas were so soft, I just broke them up into several pieces before beating the mixture. Then I stirred in the flour, and added the pecans and Craisins. Whenever I use pecans in recipes such as this, I always toast them at 350° F for 8 to 10 minutes. I think that the flavor is improved immensely when the pecans are toasted.
I used a 1½-inch diameter disher (a.k.a. ice cream scoop) to fill the prepared cavities of the mini muffin pan.
I popped the mini muffins into a pre-heated 350° F oven for about 16 minutes. After 16 minutes, they were golden brown and springy when lightly pressed. I let them cool for about 10 minutes before removing the muffins from the pan. Then, I let the muffins continue cooling on a wire rack. I ended up with 20 absolutely delicious Banana Craisin Mini Muffins. Yum!
Banana Craisin Mini Muffins
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 over-ripe banana peeled and broken into several pieces*
- 1/4 cup sour cream*
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans toasted at 350° F for 8 to 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup Craisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease mini muffin pan.
- Cream butter, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add egg, vanilla extract, banana and sour cream; beat until smooth and creamy. Stir in flour. Add pecans and Craisins and mix well. Using a 1½-inch diameter disher (ice cream scoop), fill mini-muffin cavities 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350° F for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and middle springs back when pressed. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove from mini muffin pan. Cool completely. Yield: 20 mini muffins.