Chris’ Bran Bread is super easy to make in a bread machine. A couple of years ago I purchased a Zojirushi mini bread machine. It has turned out to be one of the best investments I’ve ever made! I use it several times a week, and can’t remember the last time I actually bought bread.
When I first got the bread machine, I started experimenting with making a bran bread that was high in fiber and flavor, and easy to slice. The experiments included using different ratios of wheat bran to flour, using Egg Beaters in place of whole eggs, altering the amount of water, and reducing the amount of yeast. The end result was a perfect little loaf of bread!
I used the following ingredients for Chris’ Bran Bread: Egg, water, salt, honey, olive oil, unprocessed wheat bran and bread machine yeast. I’ve always used olive oil, but vegetable oil would work fine as well.
I found through my experimentation that a whole egg worked better than Egg Beaters. In addition, I originally started with 1 1/2 teaspoons of yeast, but found that 3/4 teaspoon was actually the perfect amount. I also found that by weighing the ingredients, I ended up with a perfectly consistent product.
Making Chris’ Bran Bread
I start by cracking the egg into the bread machine pan and added enough filtered water to bring the total weight to 8.75-ounces. The reason that weighing is important here is that eggs vary in size/volume and the amount of liquid is what is ultimately important. The actual amount of water that I used was around 3/4 of a cup plus 2 Tablespoons.
Before adding the remaining ingredients, I whisked the liquid mixture to break up the egg yolk. Then I added the salt, olive oil, honey, wheat bran, flour and yeast – in that order.
I started the bread machine on the regular bread cycle. Three hours and 40 minutes later, I had a perfect little loaf of bread. Yum!
I hope you liked this recipe for Chris’ Bran Bread as much as I do. If so, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, ever your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Chris' Bran Bread (Bread Machine)
- 1 egg lightly beaten plus enough filtered water to make a total of 8.50-ounces of liquid
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon (0.5 ounces) olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon (0.75 ounces) honey
- 5 1/2 Tablespoons (0.9 ounce) unprocessed wheat bran
- 3 cups (12.3 ounces) bread flour
- ½ teaspoon bread machine yeast
- Place all ingredients into the pan of a bread machine, in the order listed. Program the machine for the regular cycle. If necessary, adjust the dough's consistency with additional flour or water.
- Allow the machine to complete its cycle. Yield: One 1-pound loaf.