This Irish Potato Leek Soup is a crowd pleasing soup that is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day! In fact, it’s probably the most delicious Potato Leek Soup that you’ll ever taste! What’s even better is that this awesome soup is easy to make, and equally good served either hot or cold.
Ingredients for Irish Potato Leek Soup:
I used the following ingredients for this delicious soup: Unsalted butter, potatoes, leeks, low sodium chicken broth, Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, frozen green peas, whole milk, heavy cream, and Dubliner cheese.
Making the Irish Potato Leek Soup:
I started by sautéing the leeks in some melted butter over medium heat in a Dutch oven until they were tender, but not browned. This took about 5 minutes. Then, I added the potatoes, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. I increased the heat to high and brought the mixture to a boil. Then, I lowered the heat to medium low, covered the Dutch oven, and simmered the mixture until the potatoes were tender. This took about 20 minutes.
I removed the top, and added the green peas, and cooked the mixture for 2 additional minutes. You might think that green peas are an odd ingredient for Potato Leek Soup. However, 1/2 cup was enough to add some green color without impacting the taste!
Finishing the Irish Potato Leek Soup:
To finish the Irish Potato Leek soup, I puréed it in batches in my blender. Before returning the puréed soup to the pan, I wiped the Dutch oven with a paper towel. I placed the soup over medium heat, and added the milk, cream, and cheese.
I cooked the mixture, stirring often, until the cheese was melted. Finally, I gave the soup a taste, and proclaimed it perfect!
I served the Irish Potato Leek Soup with a freshly baked baguette. The Master Taste Tester kept commenting on how good the soup was. In fact, he said that I should not change a thing about it, and should have a vat available in the refrigerator at all times. The ultimate compliment from the Master Taste Tester. Yum!
If you liked the recipe for Irish Potato Leek Soup, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, enter your email address in the Subscribe box. Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
This Irish Potato Leek Soup is a crowd pleasing soup that is perfect for St. Patrick's Day! In fact, it's probably the most delicious Potato Leek Soup that you'll ever taste! What's even better is that this awesome soup is easy to make, and equally good served either hot or cold.
- 1 Tablespoon butter unsalted
- 4 cups leeks sliced white and green parts (3 large)
- 4 cups potatoes peeled and diced (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas optional - to provide green color for the soup
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Dubliner cheese shredded
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks; sauté 5 minutes, being careful not to allow the leeks to brown.
- Add the potatoes, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. If desired, add the green peas; cook 2 additional minutes.
- Purée in batches in blender.
- Wipe out Dutch oven; return the soup to the Dutch oven set over medium heat.
- Add the milk, cream, and cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted.
- Yield: 6 servings