For a quick and refreshing salad, you should try Mardi Gras Salad. It is so named because of its Mardi Gras colored ingredients – Green, Purple, and Gold!
Making the Mardi Gras Salad:
I used the following ingredients for the salad: Romaine lettuce, baby spinach, Purple onions, Mandarin oranges, mushrooms, and crispy bacon. For the dressing, I used onion, malt vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, salt, and olive oil.
For the dressing, I added the onion, malt vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, and salt to a blender. I processed the ingredients until they were well mixed. Then, I slowly added the olive oil with the blender on a slow speed.
For the salad, I combined the romaine lettuce and spinach in a large salad bowl. Then, I added the crumbled bacon, purple onion, mandarin orange sections, and mushrooms. Next, I mixed and tossed the ingredients.
Right before serving, I added enough dressing to coat the leaves and gave the salad a toss. Yum!
Mardi Gras Salad
- 6 ounces romaine lettuce rinsed, dried and shredded
- 6 ounces spinach leaves rinsed, dried, stems removed and shredded
- 5 slices bacon fried, drained and crumbled
- ½ purple onion thinly sliced
- ¾ cup mandarin orange sections drained
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
Mardi Gras Dressing:
- 1 teaspoon chopped onion
- ¼ cup malt vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Place romaine lettuce and spinach in a large salad bowl. Add crumbled bacon, onion, mandarin orange sections and mushrooms. Mix and toss the ingredients. Add enough dressing to coat the leaves, tossing with the salad. Serve at once.
- Yield: 4 servings.
- Put onion, vinegar, sugar, mustard and salt in an electric blender. While blending on low speed, gradually add the olive oil. May be made ahead of time. Before using, blend the dressing. Yield: ½ cup.
Leave a Reply