Mardi Gras Snack Mix is sweet and salty, and coated in white chocolate. It takes minutes to put together and is the perfect munchie for morning, noon and night.
I used the following ingredients for this addictive Mardi Gras treat: Rice Chex, Cheerios, Pretzels, Bugles, salted mixed nuts, Mardi Gras colored M&M’s, and white chocolate chips. You could certainly be creative here and mix and match other ingredients!
Making the Mardi Gras Snack Mix
I started by melting the white chocolate chips in 30 second increments in my microwave on 50% power. After each 30 second increment, I gave the chips a stir. What was important here was making sure that the chips didn’t get too hot. All told, this took about 3 minutes. I ended up adding several teaspoons of vegetable oil to the melted chips to thin them out.
After that, I combined the Rice Chex, Cheerios, pretzels, Bugles, and nuts in a large bowl.
Then, I poured on the melted white chocolate and stirred the mixture to coat the ingredients.
Next, I added the Green, Gold, and Purple M&M’s. I continued stirring the mixture until everything was nicely coated with the white chocolate. The reason that I waited to add the M&M’s was that I wanted to ensure that the white chocolate wasn’t too hot.
After all of the ingredients were nicely coated with the white chocolate, I dumped the mixture onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. I spread the mixture out so that it could harden. Finally, I broke it up into bite-sized pieces.
I ended up with about 13 cups of amazingly delicious Mardi Gras Snack Mix. It had the perfect combination of sweet and salty in each bite. Yum!
Mardi Gras Snack Mix
- 3 cups (16 ounces) white chocolate chips (See Notes 1 and 2)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 1 ½ cups Cheerios
- 1 cup Pretzels (See Note 3)
- 1 cup Bugles
- 1 ¼ cup Deluxe salted nuts (See Note 4)
- ⅓ cup Green M&Ms
- ⅓ cup Gold or Yellow M&M's
- ⅓ cup Purple M&M's
- Melt white chocolate chips in 30 second increments in microwave on 50% power, stirring after each 30 second increment. If melted chocolate seems too thick, stir in several teaspoons of vegetable oil. (See Note 5)
- Combine Rice Chex, Cheerios, Pretzels, Bugles, and nuts in a large bowl. Add melted chocolate; stir to combine.
- Add M&M's and continue stirring until all ingredients are nicely coated in melted white chocolate.
- Pour mixture onto parchment paper; spread out and allow to harden. Break into bite-sized pieces.
- Yield: About 13 cups.
Chula's Expert Tips
- I used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips.
- My microwave is 1200 watts.
- I used Snyder's Butter Snaps. You could also use pretzel sticks, mini pretzels, etc.
- Rather than using the Deluxe nuts, you could always use peanuts. I think, however, that the Deluxe nuts give the Mardi Gras Snack Mix a little something extra!
- Be sure that you don't overheat the chocolate chips. You could always melt them over simmering water instead of using the microwave.