Mardi Gras Snack Mix is sweet and salty, and coated in white chocolate. It takes minutes to put together and is the perfect munchie for morning, noon and night.
Ingredients for Mardi Gras Snack Mix
I used the following ingredients for this addictive Mardi Gras treat: Rice Chex, Cheerios, Pretzels, Bugles, salted mixed nuts, Mardi Gras colored M&M’s, and white chocolate chips. You could certainly be creative here and mix and match other ingredients!
Making the Mardi Gras Snack Mix
I started by melting the white chocolate chips in 30 second increments in my microwave on 50% power. After each 30 second increment, I gave the chips a stir. What was important here was making sure that the chips didn’t get too hot. All told, this took about 3 minutes. I ended up adding several teaspoons of vegetable oil to the melted chips to thin them out.
After that, I combined the Rice Chex, Cheerios, pretzels, Bugles, and nuts in a large bowl.
Then, I poured on the melted white chocolate and stirred the mixture to coat the ingredients.
Next, I added the Green, Gold, and Purple M&M’s. I continued stirring the mixture until everything was nicely coated with the white chocolate. The reason that I waited to add the M&M’s was that I wanted to ensure that the white chocolate wasn’t too hot.
After all of the ingredients were nicely coated with the white chocolate, I dumped the mixture onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. I spread the mixture out so that it could harden. Finally, I broke it up into bite-sized pieces.
I ended up with about 13 cups of amazingly delicious Mardi Gras Snack Mix. It had the perfect combination of sweet and salty in each bite. Yum!
- 3 cups (16 ounces) white chocolate chips (See Notes 1 and 2)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 1 1/2 cups Cheerios
- 1 cup Pretzels (See Note 3)
- 1 cup Bugles
- 1 1/4 cup Deluxe salted nuts (See Note 4)
- 1/3 cup Green M&Ms
- 1/3 cup Gold or Yellow M&M's
- 1/3 cup Purple M&M's
Melt white chocolate chips in 30 second increments in microwave on 50% power, stirring after each 30 second increment. If melted chocolate seems too thick, stir in several teaspoons of vegetable oil. (See Note 5)
Combine Rice Chex, Cheerios, Pretzels, Bugles, and nuts in a large bowl. Add melted chocolate; stir to combine.
Add M&M's and continue stirring until all ingredients are nicely coated in melted white chocolate.
Pour mixture onto parchment paper; spread out and allow to harden. Break into bite-sized pieces.
Yield: About 13 cups.
- I used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips.
- My microwave is 1200 watts.
- I used Snyder's Butter Snaps. You could also use pretzel sticks, mini pretzels, etc.
- Rather than using the Deluxe nuts, you could always use peanuts. I think, however, that the Deluxe nuts give the Mardi Gras Snack Mix a little something extra!
- Be sure that you don't overheat the chocolate chips. You could always melt them over simmering water instead of using the microwave.