The Ultimate Reuben is piled high with tender thinly sliced corned beef, amazing homemade sauerkraut, tangy Russian dressing, and gooey melted Swiss cheese. All of this goodness is sandwiched between slices of rye bread that have been buttered and grilled. It doesn’t get much better than this! Are you drooling yet?
Ingredients for Ultimate Reuben:
I used the following ingredients for this amazing sandwich: Rye bread, unsalted butter, Russian dressing, corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese. You could also use Thousand Island dressing in place of the Russian dressing.
Making the Ultimate Reuben:
I started by spreading butter on one side of a piece of rye bread, and placing it in a skillet set over medium heat. Then, I spread some Russian dressing on the other side of the rye bread. Next, I piled on thinly sliced pieces of corned beef, followed with the sauerkraut. After that, I placed the Swiss cheese on top of the sauerkraut, and spread some additional Russian dressing on the cheese. Finally, I spread the remaining piece of rye bread with butter, and placed it on top of the Reuben, butter-side up.
I cooked the Reuben on the first side for about 5 minutes, until that side was golden brown. Then, I flipped the Reuben over and cooked the other side for another 5 minutes.
The Ultimate Reuben was incredible, and a meal in itself. The combination of the thinly sliced corned beef, tangy Russian dressing, sauerkraut, and melted cheese sandwiched between toasted rye bread was awesome. Yum!
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 2 Tablespoons Russian dressing, divided (See Note 1)
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced corned beef
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of butter on one side of a slice of rye bread. Place butter-side down in skillet.
- Spread 1 tablespoon Russian dressing on slice of rye bread in skillet. Top with corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese.
- Spread remaining Russian dressing on top of Swiss cheese.
- Spread remaining butter on slice of rye bread, and place on top of Reuben, butter-side up.
- Cook Reuben 5 minutes over medium heat, or until underside is golden brown. Flip Reuben, and cook additional 5 minutes, or until other side is golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Yield: One Ultimate Reuben
Chula's Expert Tips
- Note 1: May use Thousand Island dressing in place of Russian dressing.