Double chocolate energy bites are perfect for any time that your sweet tooth or hunger craving needs a fix from something that is actually good for you. These tasty morsels are made with fiber-rich oats and ground flaxseeds and are held together with chocolate peanut butter and honey. I added mini chocolate chips to boost the chocolate indulgence!
You should try my delicious 3-Ingredient Strawberry Smoothie for another healthy and easy treat.
Variations on a Theme
Most energy bites are made with oats, nut butter, a natural sweetener, and healthy seeds. Once you’ve made energy bites, you will no doubt recognize the endless possibilities for variations.
For the oats, I prefer the old-fashioned variety. However, I could have also used regular oats.
Rather than chocolate peanut butter, I could have used regular peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter.
I could have substituted maple syrup for the honey.
I like to use ground flax seeds. However, I could have also used chia seeds or sunflower seeds.
Beyond the basic ingredients, energy bites could be focused on your favorite cookie. In fact, it would be like eating cookie dough without health-related risks.
For example, add some cinnamon and raisins if you like oatmeal cookies.
If you like white chocolate cranberry cookies, add some white chocolate chips and Craisins.
Add some coconut or almonds or pecans, or whatever meets your fancy. Rather than chocolate chips, use M&M’s for added color. The list goes on!
Ingredients: Here’s What You’ll Need
- Dry Ingredients: For the dry ingredients in this recipe, I used old-fashioned oats, ground flaxseeds, and mini chocolate chips.
- Binding Ingredients: To bind the dry ingredients together, I used chocolate peanut butter and honey.
- Flavor Enhancers: I used vanilla extract and Kosher salt to enhance the flavor of the energy bites.
Steps: Making the Double Chocolate Energy Bites
It’s amazingly easy to make these tasty energy bites.
- First, I added all of the ingredients to a medium mixing bowl.
- Then, I stirred everything together until all of the ingredients were well combined. How easy is that?
- After that, I put the energy bites mixture in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. It’s really necessary to refrigerate the mixture before forming it into balls. The reason is that without refrigeration, the ingredients form a sticky mess!
- After 30 minutes, I formed 1-inch balls using a tablespoon ice cream scoop and then rolled the mixture between my hands.
I ended up with 20 amazingly delicious Double Chocolate Energy Bites.
Whenever I get a sweet tooth craving, or my stomach rumbles, I reach for one of these tasty treats. Yum!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t have chocolate peanut butter, you can use regular peanut butter with a couple of tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa added.
I used creamy chocolate peanut butter in this recipe. However, I could have also used chunky peanut butter. The chunky peanut butter would add some texture to the energy bites.
Energy bites can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Sometimes when I make these energy bites, I grind the oats in the food processor. This helps the mixture stick together.
- If the mixture is too dry, add a little bit more honey. If the mixture is too wet, add a little bit more oats.
- Energy bites should be just that – a bite! Aim for about 1 inch in diameter. If they’re too big, they can become too heavy or crumbly.
If you liked this Double Chocolate Energy Bites recipe as much as I do, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, enter your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Double Chocolate Energy Bites
- ½ cup (4.75 ounces) chocolate peanut butter (See Tip 1)
- ⅓ cup (4 ounces) honey (See Tip 2)
- 1 ¼ cups (4 ounces) old-fashioned oats (See Tip 3)
- ½ cup (3.125 ounces) mini chocolate chips (See Tip 4)
- 3 Tablespoons ground flax seeds (See Tip 5)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl until well-mixed. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Form the mixture into 1-inch balls. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. (See Tip 6)
- Yield: 20 Double Chocolate Energy Bites. (See Tip 7)
- May use regular or chunky peanut butter plus two tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa in place of the chocolate peanut butter.
- May use maple syrup in place of the honey.
- May use regular oats instead of the old-fashioned variety.
- Use regular chocolate chips or M&M’s instead of mini chocolate chips. Alternatively, you can replace the chocolate chips with toasted pecans, toasted almond pieces, or peanuts.
- May use chia seeds or sunflower seeds in place of the flax seeds.
- I used a tablespoon ice cream scoop to help form the energy bites, but you could use a spoon to partition out about one tablespoon of the mixture per ball.
- The energy bites should be refrigerated in an airtight container. They will keep for two weeks.