Double chocolate energy bites are perfect for anytime that your sweet tooth or hunger craving needs a fix from something that is actually good for you. These tasty morsels are made with fiber rich oats and ground flax seeds, and are held together with chocolate peanut butter and honey. I added mini chocolate chips to boost the chocolate indulgence!
For another healthy and easy treat, you should try my delicious 3-Ingredient Strawberry Smoothie.
Variations on a Theme
Most energy bites are made with oats, nut butter, a natural sweetener and healthy seeds. Once you’ve made energy bites, you will no doubt recognize the endless possibilities for variations. For the oats, I prefer the old-fashioned variety. However, I could have also used regular oats. Rather than chocolate peanut butter, I could have used regular peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter. I could have substituted maple syrup for the honey. I like to use ground flax seeds. However, I could have also used chia seeds or sunflower seeds.
Beyond the basic ingredients, energy bites could be focused on your favorite cookie. In fact, it would be like eating cookie dough without the health-related risks. For example, if you like oatmeal cookies, add some cinnamon and raisins. If you like white chocolate cranberry cookies, add some white chocolate chips and Craisins. Add some coconut or almonds or pecans, or whatever meets your fancy. Rather than chocolate chips, use M&M’s for added color. The list goes on!
Ingredients for Double Chocolate Energy Bites
I used the following ingredients for these amazing double chocolate energy bites: Chocolate peanut butter, honey, old-fashioned oats, ground flax seeds, mini chocolate chips, vanilla extract and a bit of Kosher salt. I could have used regular peanut butter in place of the chocolate peanut butter with a couple of tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa added. In addition, I could have used chunky peanut butter to add the crunchy texture of peanuts!
Making the Double Chocolate Energy Bites
It’s amazingly easy to make these tasty energy bites. First, I added all of the ingredients to a medium mixing bowl. Then, I stirred everything together until all of the ingredients were well combined. How easy is that?
After that, I put the energy bites mixture in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. It’s really necessary to refrigerate the mixture before forming it into balls. The reason is that without refrigeration, the ingredients form a sticky mess!
After 30 minutes, I formed 1-inch balls using a tablespoon ice cream scoop and then rolled the mixture between by hands.
I ended up with 20 amazingly delicious Double Chocolate Energy Bites. Whenever I get a sweet tooth craving or my stomach rumbles, I reach for one of these tasty treats. Yum!
Double Chocolate Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup chocolate peanut butter (See Tip 1)
- 1/3 cup honey (See Tip 2)
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats (See Tip 3)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (See Tip 4)
- 3 Tablespoons ground flax seeds (See Tip 5)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Form mixture into 1-inch balls. Store in air-tight container in refrigerator. (See Tip 6)
- Yield: 20 Double Chocolate Energy Bites. (See Tip 7)
Chula's Expert Tips
- May use regular or chunky peanut butter plus 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa in place of the chocolate peanut butter.
- May use maple syrup in place of the honey.
- May use regular oats instead of the old-fashioned variety.
- May use regular chocolate chips or M&M’s in place of the mini chocolate chips. Alternative, you can replace the chocolate chips with toasted pecans, toasted almond pieces or peanuts.
- May use chia seeds or sunflower seeds in place of the flax seeds.
- I used a tablespoon ice cream scoop to help form the energy bites, but you could use a spoon to partition out about 1 tablespoon of the mixture per ball.
- The energy bites should be refrigerated in an air-tight container. They will keep for two weeks.