Laissez les bon temps rouler with these easy to make Mardi Gras Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting. Inside is a surprise that will delight even your most picky critic!
It’s been some time since I’ve made these show-stopper cupcakes. I used the following simple ingredients for the cupcakes: Boxed cake mix, unsalted butter, half and half, eggs, gel food coloring. For the frosting, I used unsalted butter, cinnamon, confectioners sugar’, vanilla extract, and milk.
Making the Cupcakes:
I prepared the cake mix according to the package directions, except for using half and half in place of the water. Since this was for Mardi Gras, I wanted the cupcakes to have the traditional colors. Therefore, I divided the batter into thirds. I colored one-third purple, one-third green and the last one yellow. I used 5 drops of gel food coloring for each color.
Next, I transferred each of the colored batters to a disposable pastry bag. Then, I snipped off about 1/4-inch from the bottom of each one. I started filling the cupcake papers with the yellow, then the green, and finally the purple in the middle. I knew from experience that each cupcake would be a bit different on the inside, which adds to the fun!
I baked the Mardi Gras cupcakes in a preheated 350° F oven for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, I removed the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
Making the Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting:
I beat the room temperature butter with my electric mixer until it was creamy. This took about a minute. Then, I added the cinnamon, and continued beating until the cinnamon was well combined.
Next, I added half of the sugar, and beat the mixture on high for several minutes. Then, I added a tablespoon of the milk and the vanilla, followed by another cup of sugar. I continued beating the frosting on high until it was light and fluffy.
Finally, I added another 2 tablespoons of milk and the remaining amount of sugar. I continued beating the frosting on high until it was light and fluffy, and of the proper piping consistency.
Decorating the Mardi Gras Cupcakes:
I transferred the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip (1M), and piped the frosting on each cupcake.
Finally, I finished each cupcake off with some purple, green, and yellow sprinkles.
This is reposted from February 6, 2017. I ended up with 18 delicious and adorable Mardi Gras cupcakes with cinnamon buttercream frosting. Each one had a different combination of colors inside. What fun. Yum!
Mardi Gras Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
Mardi Gras Cupcakes
- 1 15.5 ounce package yellow cake mix
- 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 3 eggs large
- Purple green, and yellow gel food coloring
Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tbsp milk
- For the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350° F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Add all cupcake ingredients to large bowl. Beat on low for 30 seconds to combine. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 4 additional minutes.
- Divide batter into thirds. Color each with 5 drops gel food coloring, ending up with purple batter, green batter, and yellow batter.
- Add individual colored batter to piping bag. Snip off 1/4-inch from tip. Pipe, yellow batter on one side; green batter on the other side, and purple batter in middle.
- Bake at 350° F for 18 to 20 minutes, or until center springs back when pressed.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- For the Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting: Beat butter in large bowl on high until light and fluffy. Add cinnamon, beat to combine. Add 2 cups confectioners' sugar; beat until mixture comes together.
- Add vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon milk. Beat to combine. Add another cup of confectioners' sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add 2 tablespoons milk and remaining sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add more sugar or milk to proper piping consistency.
- Pipe on cupcakes with 1M star tip. Decorate with purple, green, and yellow sprinkles.
- Yield: 18 Mardi Gras Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting