I’ve been making these roasted potatoes (I actually call them “little potatoes”) for as long as I can remember. I’m not sure how I came up with the recipe which, by the way, is very simple, and is a favorite of Susan’s. Interestingly, the caramelization of the onions as they cook adds a subtle flavor to the potatoes.
Ingredients for Roasted Potatoes and Onions:
I used the following ingredients for these delicious potatoes: Small peeled new potatoes, small peeled yellow onions, vegetable oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper. The size of the potatoes that I use is between 1 and 2-inches, as is the size of the onions.
Making the Roasted Potatoes and Onions:
I started by heating about 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Then, I added the potatoes and onions. I turned each one to coat with the oil and then sprinkled on Kosher salt and pepper. The reason that I coat the potatoes with oil is to ensure that the salt and pepper stick to their surface.
Then, I placed a paper towel over the pan and covered it with a lid. The reason that I do this is to “trap” the condensate that is given off as the potatoes and onions cook. This helps to “roast” the potatoes and onions as opposed to steaming them.
Every 10 to 15 minutes or so, I removed the lid and paper towel, and turned the potatoes and onions with my little tongs. Then, I covered the pan with a fresh paper towel and the lid to continue the cooking process.
After about 45 minutes, the potatoes are a golden brown and the onions are nicely caramelized. One of the beauties of the “little potatoes” is their versatility. I serve them with a lot of different main courses. Oh my, are they good. Yum!
- 1 pound 12 to 13 small new potatoes (1 to 2-inches)
- 4 small yellow onions about 2-inches
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes and the onions; place on paper towels to thoroughly dry.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and onions; turn to coat in the oil. Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Place paper towel over top of pan, and cover with lid.
- After 10 to 15 minutes, remove lid and paper towel. Use paper towel to wipe inside of lid. Turn the potatoes and onions. Top pan with another paper towel and lid. Repeat the process several more times until the potatoes are golden brown and the onions nicely caramelized, about 45 minutes in total. Yield: 4 servings.