I’ve been making Roasted Potatoes with Onions (I actually call them “little potatoes”) for as long as I can remember. I’m not sure how I came up with the recipe which, by the way, is very simple and is a favorite of Susan’s. Interestingly, the caramelization of the onions as they cook adds a subtle flavor to the roasted potatoes.
I used the following ingredients for these delicious roasted potatoes: Small peeled new potatoes, small peeled yellow onions, vegetable oil, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. The size of the potatoes that I use is between 1 and 2-inches, as is the size of the onions.
Making Roasted Potatoes with Onions
I started by heating about 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Then, I added the potatoes and onions. I turned each one to coat with the oil and then sprinkled on Kosher salt and pepper. I coat the potatoes with oil is to ensure that the salt and pepper stick to their surface.
Then I placed a paper towel over the pan and covered it with a lid. I do this is to trap the condensate that is given off as the roasted potatoes and onions cook. This helps to roast the potatoes and onions as opposed to steaming them.
Every 10 to 15 minutes or so I removed the lid and paper towel and turned the potatoes and onions with my little tongs. Then I covered the pan with a fresh paper towel and the lid to continue the cooking process.
After about 45 minutes, the roasted potatoes are a golden brown and the onions are nicely caramelized. One of the beauties of the “little potatoes” is their versatility. I serve them with a lot of different main courses. Oh my, are they good. Yum!
If you’d like to make the dish I served with the Roasted Potatoes and Onions, check of my Pork Milanese.
I hope you liked this recipe for Roasted Potatoes with Onions as much as I do. If so, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, ever your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Roasted Potatoes with Onions (aka, "Little Potatoes)
- 1 pound 12 to 13 small new potatoes (1 to 2-inches)
- 4 small yellow onions about 2-inches
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes and the onions; place on paper towels to thoroughly dry.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and onions; turn to coat in the oil. Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Place paper towel over top of pan, and cover with lid.
- After 10 to 15 minutes, remove lid and paper towel. Use paper towel to wipe inside of lid. Turn the potatoes and onions. Top pan with another paper towel and lid. Repeat the process several more times until the potatoes are golden brown and the onions nicely caramelized, about 45 minutes in total. Yield: 4 servings.