These soft and fluffy dinner rolls are full of buttery goodness. From start to finish, they take less than 3 hours to make, with the bread machine doing most of the work. In addition, the dough is a dream to work with. These dinner rolls are incredible on their own with a pat of butter, and amazing wrapped around a piece of leftover ham!
The Master Taste Tester was actually a bit horrified when he saw me making these rolls. The reason was that he felt that my french bread rolls were about as good as they get. However, one bite, and he relented that I could make these rolls again!
Making the Buttery Dinner Rolls:
I used the following ingredients: Milk, unsalted butter, egg, sugar, salt, bread flour, and instant yeast.
Did I tell you that the bread machine does most of the work? Well it does! I added all of the ingredients to the pan of the bread machine and started it on the dough cycle. When the dough cycle finished, I removed the dough to a floured surface. First, however, I weighed the finished dough – it weighed 19.58 ounces. I divided that by 12 since I wanted to make 12 rolls. The the result was 1.63 ounces. Yes, I’m a total nerd, and weigh everything!
I cut the dough into individual 1.63 ounce portions, and formed each piece into a ball. Then, I placed the balls on a parchment lined 9 x 13 baking sheet. I tried to space them as evenly as I could. I placed the rolls into my warmed oven that I had heated for 1 minute and 45 seconds to allow them to rise. After about 45 minutes, the rolls had perfectly risen. I preheated my oven to 350° F, and baked the rolls for about 18 minutes, until they were golden brown.
I pulled the rolls out of the oven about 5 minutes before dinner was ready, so the timing was perfect! The rolls were about 2-1/2 inches in diameter, and were pillowy soft. The Master Taste Taster kept commenting on how good the rolls were as he reached for this third one! These buttery dinner rolls are definitely company worthy. You should try them. Yum!
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces, 113 grams) milk (I used whole milk)
- 1/2 stick 2 ounces, 57 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons (2.12 ounces, 60 grams) granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups (10 ounces, 283 grams) bread flour
- 1-1/8 teaspoons instant yeast
- Place all ingredients in pan of bread machine, in the order listed. Process on dough cycle.
- When dough cycle finishes, remove dough to floured surface. Partition into 12 equal pieces (about 1.6 ounces each). Form into balls, and place, evenly spaced, on parchment lined 9x13-inch baking sheet.
- Turn on electric oven for 1 minute and 45 seconds to warm oven. Immediately turn off heat. Allow rolls to rise in warmed oven until doubled in size and touching each other, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake rolls for 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven; allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve.
- Yield: 12 Buttery Dinner Rolls