Ingredients for Cinco de Mayo Salsa:
I used the following ingredients: Canned whole tomatoes, onions, garlic, pickled jalapeño slices, lime juice, parsley, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
Making the Salsa:
The most time-consuming part of making the salsa was the prep. First, I drained the canned tomatoes. I roughly chopped half of them, and left the other half whole. Then, I diced the onion, and peeled the garlic. Next, I diced the jalapeño slices, cut the lime in half, and chopped the parsley.
I used the blender for the rest of the preparation. First, I added the chopped tomato, onion, garlic, jalapeño, and lime juice to the blender. I processed it on a medium speed for 5 to 10 seconds until it was somewhat smooth.
Then, I added the parsley, whole tomatoes, salt, and pepper to the blender. I processed the Salsa on medium speed for about 5 seconds. The reason that I added the tomatoes in two stages was that I like my Salsa a bit chunky.
Cinco de Mayo SalsaPrint Pin Rate
- 28 ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and divided
- 1/2 medium onion (½ cup, 3 ounces, 85 grams) finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 - 3 Tablespoons (0.5-1.5 ounces) finely chopped pickled jalapeño slices*
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Salt try 1/4 teaspoon to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper try 1/4 teaspoon to taste
- Roughly chop half of the drained tomatoes; add to blender, along with the onions, garlic, jalapeño slices, and lime juice. Blend for about 5 to 10 seconds, until mixture is somewhat smooth.
- Add parsley, whole tomatoes, salt and pepper. Blend for another 5 seconds or until Salsa is the desired consistency. Correct seasonings.
- Transfer to non-reactive bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.