For a quick bite during the hectic Halloween season, grab one of these delicious Jack O’Lantern Ham and Swiss Hand Pies. They are way easier to make than carving a pumpkin, and taste as good as they look!
Ingredients: Here’s What You’ll Need
The ingredients for the Jack O’Lantern Ham and Swiss Hand Pie include store-bought pie crust, Dijon mustard, Swiss cheese, ham, and an egg for the egg wash. For variety, you could also use Brie in place of Swiss cheese.
Here’s How I Made These Adorable Hand Pies
I started by unrolling one of the pie crusts onto a floured surface and used a Wilton Pumpkin cookie cutter to cut the shapes. I was able to get seven pumpkins from one crust. I repeated the process with the other pie crust. Previously, I had made a template with cut-outs of the eyes and nose on card stock, so I used that as a pattern to cut out the eyes and noses on half of the pumpkins with a sharp knife.
I spread some mustard on the uncut side of one of the pumpkin shapes and topped that with some Swiss cheese and ham, making sure that I left space around the edge. Then, I put one of the cut pumpkin shapes on top and pressed it all around to produce a seal.
I brushed the tops with some egg wash and baked the Jack O’Lantern Hand Pies at 425°F for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, the Jack O’Lantern Ham and Swiss Hand Pies were golden brown. I transferred them to a wire rack, and let them cool for about 5 minutes before sampling one of the morsels. They were crispy and delicious. Yum!
I hope you liked this recipe for Jack O’Lantern Ham and Swiss Hand Pies as much as I do. If so, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, enter your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Jack O’Lantern Ham and Swiss Hand Pies
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts
- 3 to 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 to 4 slices thinly sliced Black Forest or Virginia ham, cut in half
- 3 to 4 slices thinly sliced Swiss cheese, cut in half
- 1 large egg plus 1 Tablespoon of water for the egg wash
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Make a template of a pumpkin cookie cutter on card stock. Cut out eyes and nose from the template.
- Unroll pie crusts on a floured surface. Cut each crust into 6 to 7 pumpkin shapes with a 3-inch pumpkin cookie cutter.
- Using the template, cut the eyes and nose with a sharp knife on half of the cutouts.
- Spread ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard on the solid pumpkin shapes.
- Fold Swiss cheese into 2-inch squares, and place on top of the mustard.
- Fold ham into 2-inch squares and place on top of the Swiss cheese.
- Top with remaining pumpkins with cut-out faces. Carefully press edges to seal.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with egg wash. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cool on the rack for 5 minutes before serving. Yield 6 to 7 hand pies.