These adorable Mac O’Lantern Salads are perfect for Halloween. I “carved” orange bell peppers and stuffed them with creamy delicious macaroni salad.
Ingredients for Macaroni Salad used to Stuff Mac O’Lanterns:
I used the following ingredients: Elbow macaroni, mayonnaise, celery, green bell pepper, pimientos, hard boiled eggs, shredded gherkins, gherkin juice, cider vinegar, salt, sugar, dry mustard, freshly ground black pepper, and orange bell peppers.
Making the Mac O’Lantern Salad:
First, I cooked the macaroni according to the package directions. When the macaroni was done, I dumped it into a colander and rinsed it with cold water. While the macaroni was draining, I made the dressing. I combined the mayonnaise, celery, green bell pepper, pimientos, hard boiled eggs, gherkins, gherkin juice, cider vinegar, salt, sugar, dry mustard, and pepper. Then, I added the dressing to the macaroni.
After I stirred to combine everything, I refrigerated the macaroni salad until I was ready to stuff the peppers.
I used a small paring knife to cut eyes and a mouth on each of the orange peppers. Then, I sliced off the top and pulled out the core and the seeds. Finally, I leveled the bottom so that the Mac O’Lantern’s would stand up. I spooned the macaroni salad into the peppers, and returned the top. The adorable Mac O’Lantern Salad was super simple to make, and delicious to eat! Yum!
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni cooked according to package directions
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 small sweet pickles or gherkins shredded
- 1 Tablespoon chopped pimiento
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons sweet pickle or gherkin juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Orange bell peppers
Combine mayonnaise, celery, green bell pepper, gherkins, pimiento, eggs, vinegar, gherkin juice, dry mustard, salt, sugar, and pepper to make the dressing. Add the dressing to the macaroni. Toss to combine. Refrigerate.
- Cut eyes and mouth in orange bell pepper with small paring knife. Slice off the top, and level the bottom.
- Stuff the orange peppers with the macaroni salad. Replace the top. Serve.
- Yield: 6 servings of macaroni salad