Laissez les bons temps rouler with this iconic New Orleans cocktail. The perfect setting for a New Orleans Hurricane is in Pat O’Brien’s courtyard in the French Quarter overlooking the flaming fountain. The next best place is either at home or at a Mardi Gras party enjoying this rum based cocktail laced with tropical fruits. However, don’t let its sweetness fool you – it can definitely knock you sideways if you’re not careful!
Ingredients for New Orleans Hurricane:
I used the following ingredients for this delicious cocktail: Light rum, dark rum, freshly squeezed orange juice, freshly squeezed lime juice, passion fruit juice, simple syrup, and Grenadine syrup.
Although you can buy simple syrup, it’s super easy to make. I combined equal parts of water and granulated sugar in a small saucepan, and brought it to a boil over medium heat. Once the mixture came to a boil and the sugar had dissolved, the simple syrup was ready. I cooled the simple syrup and stored it in a jar with a lid!
The passion fruit juice was another matter. I couldn’t find either the straight passion fruit juice or the passion fruit syrup anywhere. The best that I could do was to use a fruit juice blend that included passion fruit. As far as I was concerned, this was totally fine!
Making the New Orleans Hurricane:
I mixed all of the ingredients together in a pitcher. After giving it a good stir, I poured the Hurricane mixture through a wire mesh strainer into a Hurricane glass filled with crushed ice. How easy is that? If you want to make it extra special, add a sugar cube soaked in 151 proof rum and ignite it for a flaming hurricane!
Susan actually had several Pat O’Brien Hurricane glasses from visits to New Orleans. Perfect, I thought! I added a straw and a garnish of an orange slice and cherry. Laizzez les bons temps rouler – Yum!
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons 3 ounces, 85 ml light rum
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons 3 ounces, 85 ml dark rum
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons 3 ounces, 85 ml passion fruit juice
- 3/4 Tablespoons simple syrup*
- 3/4 Tablespoons Grenadine syrup
- Orange slice and cherry for garnish optional
- Combine all ingredients except for orange slice and cherry in a pitcher. Stir to combine. Pour through wire mesh strainer into glass filled with crushed ice.
- If desired, garnish with orange slice and cherry.
- Yield: A little over 1-1/2 cups (13.5 ounces, 399 ml)
- *Note: You can make your own simple syrup by combining equal parts of water and granulated sugar in a small saucepan. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Cool completely. Store in jar with lid.