If you like peanuts, you’ll absolutely love these incredible Skinny Peanut Cookies adapted from Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Cookies. They’re called skinny because they spread to a thin wafer when they’re baking. These cookies are filled and topped with peanutty goodness. It’s hard to eat just one with their crispy edges, chewy interior, and crunchy peanuts!
Ingredients for Skinny Peanut Cookies:
I used the following ingredients: Unsalted peanuts, granulated sugar, unsalted butter, milk, egg, baking soda, salt, all-purpose flour, and honey roasted peanuts.
Making the Skinny Peanut Cookies:
First, I added the unsalted peanuts and several tablespoons of sugar to the bowl of my food processor fitted with a steel blade. I pulse processed the peanuts around 10 times, to coarsely chop them. I added the sugar to prevent the peanuts from releasing their oils.
Making the Skinny Peanut Cookies:
First, I sifted together the flour, baking soda, and salt. I added the milk, melted butter, and egg to a bowl, and beat the mixture on high for about 30 seconds to combine everything. Then, I added the sugar, and beat the mixture on high for about a minute to ensure that everything was well combined. Next, I added the baking soda and salt, and beat the mixture until things were incorporated. Finally, I added the sifted dry ingredients, and chopped peanuts, and beat the mixture on medium until everything was nicely combined.
Once the dough was ready, I scooped it onto a silicon lined baking sheet using a 2-teaspoon ice cream scoop. I knew that the cookies would spread quite a bit, so I made sure to space them out. Then, I rolled the dough into neat balls, and pressed four honey roasted peanuts into the balls.
I popped the cookies into a preheated 375° F oven until they had just started to brown around the edges. This took a little over 7 minutes. During that time, they puffed up, spread out, and flattened into thin wafers. I removed the cookies from the oven, and pressed several more honey roasted peanuts into the still soft cookies. Finally, I transferred them to a wire rack to cool completely.
I ended up with 36 absolutely delicious Skinny Peanut Cookies. They were not too sweet, and were crispy around the edges, chewy in the middle, and full of peanut goodness. Yum!
Skinny Peanut Cookies from Maida Heatter
- 1 cup (4 ounces, 113 grams) unsalted peanuts (See Note 1)
- 1 cup (7 ounces, 198 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (5 ounces, 142 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (See Note 1)
- 2 Tablespoons (1 ounce, 28 grams) milk
- 2 Tablespoons (1 ounce, 28 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces, 57 grams) honey roasted peanuts for pressing on top of cookies
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line baking sheet with silicon mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place unsalted peanuts and 2 tablespoons of sugar in bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. Pulse process 10 times to coarsely chop peanuts. Some will be powdery, some coarse, and some still whole. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Place milk, butter, and egg in a large bowl. Beat on high with electric mixer for 30 seconds, until well combined. Add remaining sugar; beat on high for 1 minute until fully incorporated.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and chopped peanuts; beat on medium until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet using a 2 teaspoon ice cream scoop, placing the dough 3-inches apart to allow for spreading. Roll dough into balls; top with as many honey roasted peanuts as will fit on the cookies (I could only fit 4).
- Bake at 375° F for 7 to 8 minutes, or until edges are just beginning to brown. Watch carefully.
- Remove from oven, and press several additional honey roasted peanuts into still soft cookies. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Yield: 36 3-inch cookies.
Chula's Expert Tips
- If using salted peanuts, omit adding salt.