Susan here, I’ve take over for this blog post to share with the world my Easy Stovetop Mac & Cheese. When it comes to comfort food, there’s nothing quite like homemade Mac & Cheese. This dish is rich and creamy. It can be served as a stand alone meal or a side dish to complement just about any combination of meat and vegetables. And the best part, this recipe is quick and super easy to make.
Use the following ingredients for this amazing Mac & Cheese: Cavatappi pasta, milk, salt, freshly ground black pepper, all-purpose flour, cream cheese, and extra sharp cheddar cheese.
Making Susan’s Easy Stovetop Mac & Cheese
Start by cooking the pasta according to the package directions to the al dente stage. Then drain the pasta and set it aside while making the cheese sauce.
For the sauce, start by adding the milk to a saucier pan. Then add the salt, pepper and flour to the milk. Whisk the mixture over medium heat until it starts to bubble and thicken. Next add the cream cheese, cut into small pieces. The reason for cutting the cream cheese into small pieces is so that it melts more easily in the hot milk mixture.
Once the cream cheese is melted into the sauce, remove it from the heat and add the shredded Cheddar cheese. Whisk the sauce until the Cheddar cheese melts completely. Then, add the pasta and stir everything together to finish making the Stovetop Mac & Cheese.
Susan’s Easy Stovetop Mac & Cheese is absolutely delicious! Yum!
We had this awesome Mac & Cheese with chicken schnitzel and fresh green beans. Yum!
Want to try another one of Susan’s specialties? Try her Cheesy Stuffed Shells. If, instead you are looking for a more traditional Mac & Cheese, check out my Ultimate Make Ahead Macaroni and Cheese. You won’t be disappointed!
Susan's Easy Stovetop Mac & Cheese
- 16 ounces (4 cups) uncooked medium elbow macaroni (See Note 1)
- 2 ¼ cups (18 ounces) whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) cream cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 ¼ cups (5 ounces) shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta to al dente stage according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- After pasta is cooked, add milk to a large saucepan. Add salt, pepper, and flour. Whisk over medium heat until bubbly and thickened. Add cream cheese; whisk until melted.
- Remove pan from heat. Add Cheddar cheese; whisk until melted. Add ¾ of the cooked pasta; stir to combine. Add remaining pasta; stir to combine.
- Yield: 6 servings.
- Susan used Cavatappi pasta.