Crispy Crunchy Fried Shrimp is easy to prepare, takes minutes to cook, and is amazing to consume. Serve it with Quick and Easy Traditional Tartar Sauce, hush puppies, and Creamy Southern Coleslaw and you have a meal young and old will rave about!
Fried shrimp can be either battered or breaded. If breaded, the shrimp can be coated in just flour, cornmeal, bread crumbs, Panko, etc. I’ve tried different variations of preparing fried shrimp, and think that the method presented below is by far the best!
I used the following ingredients for this amazing fried shrimp: Fresh peeled and deveined shrimp with the tails left on, egg, milk, all-purpose flour, salt, freshly ground black pepper, Panko bread crumbs, and peanut oil.
for the Crispy Crunchy Fried Shrimp
I started by mixing together the egg and the milk.
Then, I combined the flour, salt, and pepper in a gallon ziploc bag. Next, I added the shrimp to the flour mixture, and gave the bag a good shake to coat the shrimp. After that, I held the flour coated shrimp by its tail and dipped it in the egg/milk mixture. I then coated the shrimp with Panko bread crumbs, leaving the tail uncoated. I made sure to press the Panko into the shrimp to ensure that it was well coated. Finally, I placed the breaded shrimp on a parchment lined baking sheet while I breaded the rest of the shrimp. At this point, I could have refrigerated the breaded shrimp and fried it later.
Cooking the Crispy Crunchy Fried Shrimp
To cook the shrimp, I started by heating the peanut oil in a Dutch oven to 350° F. I used a thermometer to ensure that I cooked the shrimp at that precise temperature. Cooking the shrimp at 350° F resulted in perfectly cooked crispy crunchy shrimp that was not at all greasy. Any lower than 350° F and the shrimp would be greasy. Any higher than 350° F and the shrimp would likely burn.
Oh My – the Crispy Crunchy Fried Shrimp were incredible. I don’t think that I’ll ever bother cooking them any other way. I hope you agree. Yum!
For another amazing fried shrimp recipe, check out my Coconut Shrimp with Orange Marmalade Dipping Sauce.
Crispy Crunchy Fried Shrimp
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tail left intact
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Peanut oil for frying
- Whisk egg and milk together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a plastic bag. Add shrimp and shake to coat.
- Holding the shrimp by the tail, dip in egg/milk mixture. Coat in Panko, pressing Panko to ensure that the shrimp is thoroughly coated.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a Dutch oven fitted with a thermometer to 350° F. When oil has reached temperature, add about 6 shrimp, being sure to avoid overcrowding. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack set inside of a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Serve with Quick and Easy Traditional Tartar Sauce (See Notes)
- Yield: 2 to 3 servings.