Easy Lasagna Cups are a simple to make recipe that will delight young and old. These meaty, cheesy, tasty morsels are perfect for a snack, appetizer or anytime meal.
You get home late from work, and the question is “What’s for dinner?” You open the refrigerator and see wonton wrappers, leftover ricotta cheese, leftover meat sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
The answer is clear – these absolutely delicious Lasagna Cups!
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of contents
Why You Should Make These Tasty Morels
There are a number of reasons that you should make these tasty morsels:
- They are super simple to make and kids of all ages absolutely love them.
- They can be made ahead of time and either reheated or frozen.
- They can make an amazing snack for those on the go and are just as good at room temperature as they are heated.
- They are amazingly delicious – need I say more?
As I just indicated, these little morsels contain only five basic ingredients, plus a little vegetable oil.
I used wonton wrappers, ricotta cheese, your favorite meat sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Making the Easy Lasagna Cups
To make the Lasagna Cups, I first brushed the muffin cups with some vegetable oil. You could also use a non-stick vegetable oil spray here.
Then I started building the Lasagna Cups. First, I pressed the wonton wrappers into the muffin cups (Photo 1). Next, I added some ricotta cheese (homemade of course) (Photo 2)
Then, I added some meat sauce (also homemade) (Photo 3), and finally some shredded mozzarella cheese (Photo 4).
I repeated the process first by adding wonton wrappers turned 90 degrees (Photo 5). Then, I added some more ricotta cheese, (Photo 6).
Next, I added some more meat sauce (Photo 7), and finished the second layer with some shredded mozzarella cheese (Photo 8).
What could be easier?
The last thing that I did was to sprinkle on some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
I popped the Easy Lasagna Cups into a 375°F oven for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the cheeses were melted and the wonton wrappers were golden brown.
I removed the Lasagna Cups from the oven. Then, I sprinkled on some minced fresh parsley and let the Lasagna Cups cool for about 10 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan.
Talk about good! I served the Lasagna Cups with some steamed vegetables. All through dinner, the Master Taste Tester kept saying “these are really good!” Another success. Yum!
Frequently Asked Questions
One of the beauties of this recipe is that the lasagna cups can be made ahead of time. I like to go ahead and bake the lasagna cups and reheat them at 350°F for 10 to 15 minutes. They can, however, be made ahead and baked later. However, I would brush the exposed wonton wrappers with oil to prevent them from drying out.
The lasagna cups freeze beautifully and can be kept frozen for up to 3 months.
I used a regular sized muffin pan. I don’t think that a mini-muffin pan would work for these because of the amount of the filling.
Even if your muffin pan is non-stick, I would still brush it with oil or spray it with non-stick spray. The reason is that some of the filling might leak out and otherwise make it difficult to remove the cups from the pan.
I hope you liked this recipe for Lasagna Cups as much as I do. If so, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, enter your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Easy Lasagna Cups
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup ricotta cheese preferably homemade
- 2 cups meat sauce, preferably homemade
- 1 ½ cups (6-ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese (See Tip 1)
- ¼ cup (1-ounce) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly minced parsley or chives for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Brush cups of a regular sized muffin pan with vegetable oil.
- Layer Lasagna Cups as follows: Wonton wrapper, 2 teaspoons ricotta cheese; 1 Tablespoon meat sauce; mozzarella cheese; wonton wrapper turned 90 degrees; 2 teaspoons ricotta cheese; 1 Tablespoon meat sauce; mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle lasagna cups with one teaspoon of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. (See Tip 2)
- Bake at 375°F for 10 to 15 minutes until cheeses are melted and wonton wrappers are golden brown. (See Tip 3)
- Remove from oven and cool at least 10 minutes. If desired sprinkle with freshly minced parsley or minced chives.
- Remove Lasagna Cups from muffin cups and serve.
- Yield: 6 servings. 12 Easy Lasagna Cups(See Tip 4)
Chula’s Expert Tips
- I always shred my own mozzarella cheese. The reason is that the pre-shredded cheese contains a coating that impacts both the flavor and the melting.
- Can be made in advance up to this point and either refrigerated or frozen.
- After about 10 minutes, watch the lasagna cups closely. If the wonton wrappers are getting too brown, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- The Easy Lasagna Cups can be baked ahead of time and reheated at 350°F for 10 to 15 minutes. They can also be frozen and reheated at a later time.