Crispy Stuffed Sausage Cheese Toast is a mouthwatering combination of savory sausage and gooey melted cheese surrounded by a crispy, crunchy golden bread exterior. This delicious recipe is quick and easy to prepare and is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a snack.
The stuffing in this recipe is similar to my ever-popular Easy Cheesy Sausage Bread. However, the recipe is made differently and has a different presentation and taste as I’ll describe below.
The next time you’re craving something savory and flavorful, this crispy stuffed sausage and cheese toast is certain to be at the top of your list. In addition, it is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Ingredients: Here’s What You’ll Need
With only a handful of ingredients, you can make this tasty treat.
- The Exterior: For the exterior, I started with French bread.
- The Stuffing: The stuffing consisted of eggs, breakfast sausage, and mozzarella cheese.
- Unsalted Butter: Unsalted butter helped to make the exterior crispy, crunchy, and golden.
- The Seasonings: The simple seasonings consisted only of Kosher salt and black pepper.
Steps in Making This Delicious Recipe
This recipe is quick and easy to put together.
- First, I cut six pieces of French bread about 1 ¼ inches thick. Then, using a small paring knife, I cut out the interior of each piece of French bread, leaving about ¼ inch intact. I set the bread rounds aside.
- Next, I browned and crumbled the sausage in a skillet over medium heat. When the sausage was done, I drained it well on paper towels and allowed it to cool a bit.
- While the sausage was cooling, I whisked together two eggs with some Kosher salt and black pepper in a medium bowl.
- Then, I added shredded mozzarella cheese and cooled cooked sausage to the whisked eggs, and stirred to combine everything.
- I melted butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Then, I placed the bread rounds in the skillet. I spooned the sausage/cheese stuffing into the center of each of the bread rounds.
I covered the skillet and cooked the stuffed bread rounds over medium heat for about five minutes.
- After five minutes, I removed the cover from the skillet and turned each stuffed bread round over. I added a little bit more butter and replaced the cover. I cooked the stuffed bread rounds for another five minutes.
After five minutes, I removed the stuffed sausage cheese toast from the skillet.
The exterior bread was crispy, crunchy, and golden brown. The interior stuffing was perfectly cooked with savory sausage and gooey melted cheese.
I served the Crispy Stuffed Sausage Cheese Toast with a simple medley of fresh fruits and orange juice on the side for a flavorful breakfast. Yum!
I used Jimmy Dean Hot breakfast sausage in this recipe. However, feel free to use your favorite breakfast sausage.
The eggs help bind the sausage and cheese together and are, therefore, important in this recipe.
Cheddar cheese, Colby cheese, Colby Jack cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and Pepper Jack cheese all work well in this recipe.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- This flavorful recipe can be made ahead of time and reheated in a preheated 350°F oven for about 10 minutes. The reheating warms the stuffed toast and crisps it up again. I would avoid reheating it in the microwave if you want to retain the crispy crunch.
- I used a spoon to fill the bread rounds with the stuffing and pressed the stuffing down to ensure that it completely filled the bread round.
- The French bread that I used came from Publix and was about 3 ½ inches in diameter. You can use, however, whatever size French bread you can purchase or happen to have on hand.
- I like to use day-old bread in this recipe. The reason is that it cuts more easily.
- This recipe is equally good substituting finely chopped ham for the sausage.
Other Delicious Breakfast or Brunch Ideas
For other delicious breakfast or brunch recipes, check out these ideas:
If you liked this recipe for Crispy Stuffed Sausage Cheese Toast as much as I do, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, enter your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Crispy Stuffed Sausage Cheese Toast
- ½ loaf French bread (See Tip 1)
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage (See Tip 2)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (4-ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Cut six 1 ¼ inch slices of French bread. With a paring knife remove the interior of the slices, leaving about ¼ inch. Discard the interior or use for another purpose. Set aside.
- Cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until done. Drain well on paper towels. Allow to cool.
- Whisk together the two eggs, salt, and pepper. Add the mozzarella cheese and cooled sausage; stir to combine
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the scooped out French bread rounds. Stuff the French bread rounds with the cheese/sausage stuffing. Cover the skillet; cook for four to five minutes.
- Remove the cover. Turn the stuffed French bread rounds over. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter. Cover and cook for four to five additional minutes. Remove from the skillet and serve.
- Yield: 6 Crispy Stuffed Sausage Cheese Toasts.
Chula’s Expert Tips
- You will need six slices of French bread for this recipe. Use the remaining French bread for another purpose.
- I used Jimmy Dean Hot breakfast sausage. However, feel free to use your favorite breakfast sausage.