Sliders are all the rage these days, and for good reason. They’re a mini sandwich and perfect for a party or pot luck. Although you can buy slider buns, the homemade variety is so much better, and is super easy to make!
Ingredients for Slider Buns:
I borrowed King Arthur’s recipe for its Beautiful Burger Buns, and used the following ingredients for my slider buns: Filtered water, egg, unsalted butter, sugar, salt, all-purpose flour, and yeast.
Making the Slider Buns:
I used my bread machine to do most of the work. First, I added all of the slider ingredients to the pan of the bread machine. Then, I selected the dough cycle, and walked away!
When the dough cycle had finished, I had a beautiful, soft dough that was a breeze to work with. I took half of the dough, and placed it on a floured surface. Then, I patted it out to a thickness of about 3/8-inch. Next, I cut 2-inch circles from the dough.
I placed the circles fairly close together on a parchment lined baking sheet. Then, I repeated the process with the remaining dough. Next, I placed the buns in a slightly warm oven to rise. I always use Julia’s hint of turning my electric oven on for exactly 1 minute and 45 seconds, and then turning it off. This produces the perfect environment!
After about an hour and a half, the buns had nicely risen, and were ready to be baked. First, however, I brushed them with some melted butter.
I popped the slider buns into a preheated 375° F oven for about 10 minutes, until they were golden brown. After I removed the buns from the oven, I brushed the tops again with some melted butter. Then, I let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- 1 large egg plus enough water to total 9 ounces (about 7 ounces)
- 2 Tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups (14.75 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1.75 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon instant yeast
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted for brushing tops of buns (optional)
- Place all ingredients in pan of bread machine in order listed. Select dough cycle, and press start.
- At end of dough cycle, place dough on floured surface. Pat into circle, roughly 3/8-inches thick. Cut 2-inch circles; place circles on parchment lined baking sheet. The circles should be fairly close together, but not touching.
- Let rise until double in size, around 1 hour and 30 minutes. The circles should be touching each other at this point.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Brush tops of dough with melted butter. Bake at 375° F for 10 to 11 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven; while still hot, brush buns with additional melted butter.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Yield: 24 slider buns.