What to do with leftover Easter eggs? Why not make some tasty egg salad sliders? They have two main ingredients – egg salad, and slider buns. I prefer to make my own slider buns, but you could certainly buy them already made. You could also use your own egg salad recipe, but you should try mine – it’s absolutely delicious!
Ingredients for Tasty Egg Salad Sliders:
I used the following ingredients for the egg salad: Eggs, chopped celery, chopped scallions, mayonnaise, prepared mustard, freshly squeezed lemon juice, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
Cooking the Eggs:
Traditionally, one boils eggs in water to produce hard-cooked eggs. However, I prefer to steam the eggs. The reason is that steaming produces a more consistent and precisely cooked egg. I started by placing my steamer basket into the pan. Then, I added just enough water so that it didn’t quite touch the bottom of the basket. I covered the pan, and brought the water to a boil over high heat. Next, I uncovered the pan, and carefully placed the eggs in the steamer basket. I covered the pan, lowered the heat to medium, and steamed the eggs for 12 minutes.
After 12 minutes, I ran the eggs under cold water, and put them in a bowl with ice and cold water for 15 minutes. Then, I peeled the eggs, and cut them in half. The eggs peeled beautifully, and the yolks were perfectly cooked.
I roughly chopped the egg whites, and put them in a bowl. Then, I took the egg yolks and rubbed them between my hands to break them up. Next, I added the remaining ingredients to the bowl, and stirred the mixture to combine everything.
Finally, I plunged the potato masher into the egg salad several times to produce the desired consistency.
I cut the slider buns in half, placed some Romaine lettuce on the bottom, and loaded up the egg salad. The sliders were a perfect size, and the egg salad was absolutely delicious. Yum!
- 6 hard cooked large eggs peeled (See Tip 1)
- 1/3 cup chopped celery 2 to 3 small stalks
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions 2 scallions, white and light green part
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 Slider buns
- Cut eggs in half; remove the yolks, and coarsely chop egg whites. Place egg whites in bowl; crumble egg yolks between hands over egg whites. Add remaining ingredients. Stir with wooden spoon to combine all ingredients. Use potato masher to achieve desired consistency.
- Cut slider buns in half. Place piece of lettuce on bottom side. Spoon on egg salad. Place top of bun on top of egg salad. Secure with pick. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 12 sliders.
For a perfect hard cooked boiled eggs, steam them. Add steamer basket to pan with lid. Add water, just below the steamer basket. Cover pan, and bring to boil. Uncover pan and place eggs in steamer basket. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and steam eggs for 12 minutes. Remove from steamer basket; place in bowl and cover with cold water and ice. Let sit for at least 15 minutes.