One of my absolute favorite things to make is bread and rolls. The fact that one can add a little bit of salt and yeast to what I used as paste when I as a kid is totally captivating. I don’t think that there is a time when I don’t marvel at the magical powers of yeast.
I really don’t have much experience in making whole wheat bread. However, I came across a recipe for Simple Whole Wheat Bread on the Allrecipes site. The reviews were outstanding, but the recipe made three loaves of bread. I brooded a bit, and ultimately decided that I would cut the recipe in thirds. I also decided to use my little bread machine to do the work. Finally, I decided to make rolls rather than a loaf of bread. Oh my, were the rolls good!
Making the Honey Wheat Rolls
I used the following ingredients: Water, honey, butter, salt, vital wheat gluten, dry powdered milk, bread flour, whole wheat flour, and yeast. I added these ingredients in the order listed, and started the machine on the dough cycle.
When the dough cycle was finished, I divided the dough into 10 2.5-ounce portions. Then, I rolled each piece into a ball, and then flattened it so that the resulting roll would be more spread out than tall. After several hours of rising in a 100° F oven, the rolls were ready to cook at 350° F for 20 minutes. The rolls are absolutely amazing with just butter or used in a sandwich. Yum!
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons 9 ounces filtered water
- 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons, 3 ounces) honey
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 Tablespoon dry powdered milk
- 1 Tablespoon dry potato flakes optional
- 1 2/3 cups (230 g, 8.1 ounces) unbleached bread flour
- 1 1/4 cups (140 g, 5 ounces) whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Add the ingredients to the pan of the bread machine in the order listed. Program the machine for the dough cycle, and press start. When the dough cycle has finished, transfer the dough to a floured surface.
- Using either a pizza cutter or a dough scrapper, cut the dough into 2.5-ounce pieces. Form each piece into a ball and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Using floured fingertips, flatten each piece until it is about 1/2-inch thick. Allow to rise, covered with a baking sheet, in a warm place* until tripled in size, about 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake covered for 10 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven; transfer to wire rack to cool. Yield 10 honey wheat rolls.
*To create the perfect environment for rising, turn on electric oven for 1minutes and 45 seconds.