Split Pea Soup with Ham is a perfect way to use leftover ham from Easter. Split Pea Soup with Ham cooked in an Instant Pot is a snap to make, and awesome to serve. In addition, the leftovers are just as good the next day, or frozen for an anytime lunch or dinner.
Making the Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham:
I used the following ingredients: Dried split peas, onions, carrots, celery, ham, salt, dried thyme, freshly ground black pepper, and water. One of the things that makes this soup so easy to make is that the peas don’t have to be soaked ahead of time. In addition, a lot of recipes call for boiling the ham bone to provide flavor. I’ve found through the years that the flavor from the ham bone is really minimal, so I don’t bother with it.
I added all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot (you could also use a pressure cooker for this soup). Then, I gave the ingredients a good stir, secured the lid, and ensured that the valve was closed. Next, I plugged the in the Instant Pot, and set it on high pressure for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, I let the Instant Pot release the pressure normally. When I removed the lid, I tasted the soup. It was perfectly cooked!
I served the Split Pea Soup with Ham with a freshly baked baguette. It was absolutely delicious. Yum!
If you like this recipe, you should check out some of my other amazing soups:
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup: Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is amazing in its simplicity and taste. As the cooler weather has finally started arriving, a healthy and delicious soup such as Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup will likely become one of your family’s favorites.
- Hearty Minestrone: Hearty Minestrone is a healthy soup that chocked full of delicious vegetables. It’s comfort food at its best in the cold winter months, but equally satisfying when things warm up. Hearty Minestrone is easy to make, freezes well, and makes terrific leftovers.
- Red Lentil and Roasted Tomato Soup: What better way to warm yourself on these cold winter days than with a hearty soup. Red Lentil and Roasted Tomato Soup totally fits the bill. It’s full of healthy ingredients, easy to make, and amazingly delicious!
- Lentil and Sausage Soup: Lentil and Sausage Soup is both hearty and delicious. This one pot meal is a snap to make, freezes beautifully, and is packed full of vegetables and protein. It’s definitely comfort in a bowl!
- Easy Creamy Tomato Soup: Easy Creamy Tomato Soup is a perfect starter to an elegant meal. It is equally perfect for a light dinner when paired with Caesar salad and crusty french bread.
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham
- 1 pound (16 ounces) green split peas, picked over and rinsed well
- 1 pound (16 ounces) ham, chopped (about 2½ cups)
- 1 large onion chopped about 2 cups
- 3 ribs of celery chopped ¾ cup
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped ¾ cup
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups water
- Add all ingredients to Instant Pot or pressure cooker; stir well.
- Lock the lid of the Instant Pot or pressure cooker in place. Ensure that the valve is closed.
- Set Instant Pot on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally. Remove the lid; stir well, taking care the blend in the peas and other ingredients that have sunk to the bottom of the pan. Correct the seasonings.
- Yield: 6 servings.