Homemade ice cream is made in two different styles. The first is Custard-style which contains egg yolks. Then there is the Philadelphia-style, which omits egg yolks. Ask the Master Taste Tester what kind of ice cream he wants and the answer is always the same – simple vanilla ice cream.
He goes one step farther by saying that it shouldn’t be too sweet or too rich. This translates to Philadelphia-style ice cream with less sugar than is normally called for.
I used the following basic ingredients for the Vanilla Ice Cream: Heavy cream, whole milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and a vanilla bean. Luckily I happened to have all of this on hand.
Making the Vanilla Ice Cream
First I heated the milk, sugar, and scraped seeds from the vanilla bean in a saucepan for several minutes until the sugar had dissolved. Then I added the heated mixture to the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Next I stirred to combine everything.
I placed the ice cream mixture in the freezer for about 20 minutes to cool it to about 40° F or less. When it was cold enough, I poured the ice cream mixture into the ice cream maker that was turned on. I then let the machine do its magic.
After about 20 minutes, the ice cream was ready to be transferred to an airtight container. I placed the ice cream in the freezer for several hours to allow it to harden. The Master Taste Tester’s verdict? Smooth, creamy and delicious. Yum!
This Philadelphia Style Vanilla Ice Cream is great served in a bowl, but even better in a Homemade Waffle Cone. If you’d like to try some more ice cream flavors, check out my Chocolate Ice Cream or Strawberry Ice Cream.
I hope you liked this recipe for Philadelphia Style Vanilla Ice Cream as much as I do. If so, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, ever your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Philadelphia Style Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 cup (8 ounces) whole milk
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon (4 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean split in half lengthwise
- 2 cups (16 ounces) heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- At least 24 hours before making the ice cream, place bowl of ice cream maker in freezer.
- Pour milk and sugar into a medium saucepan. Scrap the seeds from the vanilla bean into the saucepan. Warm over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat; add the cream and vanilla extract. Chill mixture thoroughly in refrigerator or freezer until it reaches a temperature of 40° F or lower. Freeze the mixture in ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer ice cream to airtight container and chill in freezer for at least 4 hours before serving. Yield: 1 quart.