These flavorful Veggie Spring Rolls are packed with healthy vegetables and fried to a crispy, golden brown. They make a delectable appetizer or perfect addition to Asian-inspired meals. They are easy to make, albeit a bit time-consuming. however, they freeze beautifully.
I used the following ingredients for the Veggie Spring Rolls: Cabbage, carrots, celery, onion, fresh ginger, garlic, bean sprouts, soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, Sriracha hot chili sauce, ground ginger, salt, pepper, spring roll wrappers, and vegetable oil.
To make the filling, I first prepped the ingredients. And I let the food processor do most of the work. I shredded the cabbage, carrots, celery, and onion in the food processor. Then mixed together the soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, and Sriracha sauce in a small bowl.
Next I set my Wok over medium high heat. I added a tablespoon of vegetable oil, dumped in the vegetables from the bowl of the food processor, and added grated ginger and minced garlic. I stirred the mixture to combine everything and cooked the vegetables for about 20 minutes until they were tender.
Then I added the bean sprouts and cooked the mixture for several minutes longer.
Finally I added the sauce mixture, salt, pepper, and ground ginger to the cooked vegetables. I continued cooking for another minute or so until everything was well combined.
As the vegetables cooked, they gave off a fair amount of liquid. To remove this excess liquid, I transferred the spring roll filling to a colander set over a large bowl, and pressed the filling with the back of a large spoon. I ended up with over ½-cup of the liquid. Had I left the liquid in the filling, the resulting spring rolls would have been quite soggy.
To finish the Veggie Spring Rolls, I rolled them as follows: (1) With the spring roll wrapper point facing me, I placed 2 Tablespoons of the filling in the bottom third; (2) I folded the point facing me towards the center, covering the filling; (3) I brought the two sides towards the center, like an envelope; and (4) rolled the spring roll towards the remaining point, sealing it with a dab of water on the point. I made sure that I kept the spring roll wrappers and spring rolls covered with a damp paper towel to ensure that they didn’t dry out.
I placed the spring rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet, knowing that what I didn’t use would freeze beautifully.
I fried the spring rolls in my Wok with oil heated to 350° F until they were golden brown on all sides. This took about 5 minutes. I drained them on a paper towel lined plate and let them cool a bit before serving. They were absolutely delicious. In fact, the Master Taste Tester commented that they were the best he had ever had! And as an added bonus, I have 20 more of these delectable morsels in the freezer ready at a moment’s notice. Yum!
I hope you liked this recipe for Veggie Spring Rolls as much as I do. If so, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, ever your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Veggie Spring Rolls
- 3 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 small head cabbage shredded
- 2 carrots peeled and shredded
- 4 stalks celery shredded
- 1 large onion peeled and shredded
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 package spring roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil
- Combine soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, and Sriracha sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil over medium high heat in Wok or large skillet. Add the cabbage, carrots, celery, onion, grated ginger, and garlic; cook until the cabbage is transparent, about 20 minutes.
- Add bean sprouts; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce mixture; stir to combine. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and ground ginger. Cook 2 additional minutes.
- Place in colander; drain, pressing excess liquid from filing with the back of a large spoon.
- To assemble: Place a spring roll wrapper on flat surface with point toward you. Place 2 Tablespoons of the filling in bottom third of the wrapper. Fold the bottom point toward the center; then fold the left and right point toward the center, like an envelope. Roll towards the top point. Seal the edge with water. Repeat with remaining spring roll wrappers and filling. Cover unused spring roll wrappers, and completed spring rolls with damp paper towel to ensure that they do not dry out.
- Cooking: Place 2 inches of vegetable oil in a frying pan or wok. Heat over medium high heat to 350° F. Add 4 spring rolls at a time to the hot oil; cook, turning occasionally until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve. Yield: 24 spring rolls.