Quick and easy to prepare, and full of healthy vegetables, this Lo Mein takes less than 15 minutes to cook, and makes incredible leftovers. Even better is its versatility – dress it up with chicken, shrimp, beef, etc., or keep it vegetarian with broccoli florets, celery, or bean sprouts in place of, or in addition to the vegetable ingredients.
Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein:
I used the following ingredients for this delicious Vegetable Lo Mein: Chinese dried noodles, sesame oil, vegetable oil, reduced sodium chicken broth, reduced sodium soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, Sriracha hot chili sauce, fresh ginger, cornstarch, garlic, cremini mushrooms, carrot, red bell pepper, snow peas, scallions, and baby spinach.
Making the Vegetable Lo Mein:
For starters, I whisked together the chicken broth, soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, Sriracha chili sauce, grated fresh ginger, and cornstarch.
Before cooking the vegetables, I cooked the Chinese noodles in boiling water for 3 minutes, drained them, and tossed them with the sesame oil.
For the vegetables, I heated some oil in my Wok over medium high heat. I added the garlic, mushrooms, carrots, and red pepper, and cooked them, stirring frequently, until they were tender. This took about 4 minutes.
I stirred in the snow peas, scallions, and spinach, and cooked the mixture until the spinach had wilted. This took about 3 minutes.
Then, I added the noodles and soy sauce mixture, and gently tossed to combine everything.
As a final step, I sprinkled on the scallion greens. Talk about good. This Lo Mein was absolutely delicious. Yum!
- 6 ounce package dried Chinese noodles (Mein)
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce optional
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces cremini or white mushrooms sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into 2-inch match sticks
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cut into 2-inch match sticks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup snow peas
- 3 scallions white and green parts separated and sliced thin
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add noodles to boiling water and cook until tender, 3 minutes. Drain noodles, rinse thoroughly with cold water, then drain again. Toss noodles with sesame or olive oil in bowl; set aside.
- Whisk chicken broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, Sriracha chili sauce if desired, ginger, and corn starch together in bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in snow peas, scallions, and spinach until the spinach has wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add noodles and soy sauce mixture; gently toss to combine.Transfer to platter and sprinkle with scallion greens. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.